Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removing a chainstay bridge ….. Recipe for failure?
  • letmetalktomark

I love my Genesis Fortitude.

It’s my most ridden bike.

There are a couple of niggles that I’m looking to have addressed in the form of having a rear mech hanger and crud catcher fixings fitted.

The largest niggle is rear tyre clearance.

Not a lot I can do about chainstay width but removing the brace would aid in the shedding of mud etc.

Doomed to failure or not?

Would the stays require additional bracing like the Soul uses?

Frame is run with either a bolted Alfine hub or bolted Hope hub if that makes a difference?

Thoughts?

mtbfix

I filed out a whole load of both bridges on my ally hybrid to permit the use of 29er tyres. Unless I am writing this from the grave I did not die.

wwaswas

Hopefully jameso will pick this up but I can’t imagine him condoning it…

letmetalktomark

Does Jameso work for Genesis?

@ MTBFIX: when I read your post the lights did flicker and I felt a little cold. Are you sure it didn’t end badly?

letmetalktomark

Evening bump 🙂

jameso

To clarify, I had the 1st proto ‘iO 29er’ f+f made just before I left Genesis so I’m not really qualified to comment as a few details were changed when it became 3 models.

fwiw I would make a small bet that the CS tube dims didn’t change. If you’re a strong SSer, regular off-roader etc I would leave it there – if you’re just commuting on it and fairly light on kit you may be ok, at your risk etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removing a chainstay bridge ….. Recipe for failure?’ is closed to new replies.