Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Removing a car radio – non destructively
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I have a radio in one car, I want to put it in the other. How do I remove it?

There are 2 little holes, one each side of the unit that look like they should have a screwdriver or something shoved in to release some kind of catch but my screwdrivers are too large or don't appear to release anything.

It is probably really simple when you know how but I don't want to break it finding out. Advice please

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It depends on the untit. There's probably a specific little tool that slots into holes(s) on either side to release the clips, then it pulls out easily. Find out what unit it it, and Googling should find you the tool, or Ebay maybe. They're usually only a couple of quid.

nickjb
    Free Member

Best to google the model number. usually you have to poke something down a hole, or several thing simultaneously while pulling.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

EG – Ford, older style

RustyMac

Hi you get special keys for head units that fit in thoes slots at the sides of the unit. They are manufaturer specific i.e sony, kenwood etc.

You can get them from Halfords for about a fiver. If the new unit is the same manufaturer as the old one then you generally get a pair of these keys with a new unit so you could be in luck.

Good luck

Rusty Mac

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Looks like a trip to Halfrauds then.

Cheers

NZCol

If they are round you can normally make a removal tool with a Kotanga which is a traditional Maori clothes hanging implement.

molgrips
    Free Member

a Kotanga which is a traditional Maori clothes hanging implement.

Lol 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have the keys for Pioneer and Warfdale units you can borrow. Or I will do it for you for beer 🙂

Del

i'd presume as a mountain biker you do have an allen key set….?
    stick two small ones in one side's holes, push towards the outside end, grab hold of something on the front ( easier with old tape units ), and pull that side out a bit. go to the other side, repeat.

falkirk-mark

Just take it down to your nearest council estate and look for a couple of chavs with a pitbull (they will have it out in under a minute)

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

T'is done and my truck now has a radio. Thanks to the guys at Anglesea Audio, Church St, Shirley.

Helpful, informed and didn't laugh at me to my face when I asked dumb stuff.

nickc

Helpful, informed and didn't laugh at me to my face when I asked dumb stuff.

They waited until you left?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

nickc – I don't know, I had left by then
    😉

Marin
    Free Member

Get an old wire coathanger, cut in half, bend each length into a u- shape.

Insert ends of wire into holes on either side.

Push in, wiggle and pull out.

Clickety click out pops the radio.

Aha just read the last post actually and see its done, oh well for future use. And yes I really did ask a dodgy scally how to do it!

bruneep

old spokes can be used to remove the radio as well

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Removing a car radio – non destructively’ is closed to new replies.