Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • removing hose on slx disc calliper help
  • karnali
    Free Member

i need to remove the cable from the rear calliper on my slx disc brake to remove it from the frame, anyone tell me what i need to do the job and any spares i’ll need to put it back together

cheers

ricardo666
    Free Member

I have shimano xt775 brakes couple of years older than the slx but very similar

If there’s a shroud over the hose then pull it up, then you’ll need a 7mm spanner to loosen the nut. then depending on what the rest of the job entails…shortening hose, replacing the caliper etc

shimano olives

Good luck, its not too difficult, oh get some kitchen paper and an old ice cream tub for draining/bleeding your brakes.

coatesy
    Free Member

Firstly, i’d recommend removing the lever rather than the caliper as it’ll need less effort to re-bleed the system.Use an 8mm spanner to unscrew the compression nut,them wiggle the hose free(if it won’t come out, then squeeze the lever carefully as you’re pulling the hose).Use a sharp Stanley knife to trim the olive and barb from the hose, and then you can pull it through the frame guides. To reconnect you’ll need a new olive and barb(£1.99ish), and ideally, the two yellow plastic blocks to clamp the hose while you tap the barb in.Re-tighten the compression nut into the lever(don’t forget to fit the olive),level the lever, remove the reservoir cap and flick the lever until no more bubbles come up, top up with mineral fluid and re-fit the cap(you may need to tilt the lever up and down whilst flicking it to release trapped air).

karnali
    Free Member

ok done all the above at the lever end ofthings.very spongy lever right down to the bar and no brake, how can i get the air out of the system if i top it up anym eit just overflows the reservoir

cheers

locomotive

Did you have to disconnect the hose to get it through a swingarm?

Put the bike in a rack or prop it up so the hose is as near to vertical as possible. Leave it overnight. Repeat bleed process.

coatesy
    Free Member

You now have air in the system that needs to be removed(bleeding),you can do this the conventional way by pumping it through the system(clear plastic hose on bleed nipple into jar,squeeze lever, open bleed nipple, close bleed nipple,release lever and repeat until no bubbles come out and you have a solid lever. Don’t let the fluid get low in the reservoir), you can fit a syringe full of fluid(no bubbles) at the caliper bleed nipple and pump it through, or you can do as I suggested previously and flick the lever lots whilst tilting it a small amount up and down to free trapped air.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘removing hose on slx disc calliper help’ is closed to new replies.