Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Remote desktop hosting on W10
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like you need W10 professional to do this. I don’t think we have that (not at the pc currently) – is there any other solution? Need to be able to run Windows software so the first person mentioning Linux will be taken out and put with the Mac fanbois.

EDIT I found ‘thinstuff’ remote desktop host – anyone used this? Ah.. it’s not free.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Chrome remote desktop.

I can link to desktop (W10), server (2008R2) and laptops (W7/W8/ubuntu).
    Only issue is trying to link from my work PC to anything……..

molgrips
    Free Member

Chrome remote desktop is a client, isn’t it? I need a host.

andyfla
    Free Member

Free is generally crap unless you have loads of time to play with it – just saying

I assume you are talking thin clients rather than remote desktops ?

If its just accessing one PC from anywhere then look at Teamviewer, if it thin clients I have a clue these days

molgrips
    Free Member

What does thin client mean in this context?

EDIT teamviewer looks good – free for private use, Chromebook client available.

allan23
    Free Member

VNC free works pretty well.

The Free Edition isn’t encrypted and has a discreet nag message when you first connect. OK within a home network though… depending what you’re doing.

I use it to control the backup PC upstairs from my laptop.

https://www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/

andyfla
    Free Member

Thin client is a small dumb pc that “gets” its operating system from another computer – great for simple computing at a cheap price.

But I am guessing you are talking remote access- teamviewer is ace

Cougar

Teamviewer is your best bet. Plenty of others will do the job but TV is painless. Select the “join a session” link from the web page on the host, install the full client on the, er, client.

You can set up the remote end to accept unattended connections too, IIRC.

allan23
    Free Member

Has TeamViewer changed? It used to be that the Free for Personal use didn’t include unattended login, so you couldn’t remotely connect without someone at the host PC to say “yes”. Looked into it for a customer a year or so ago as they wanted a way to be able to work from home on the cheap and use their Windows PC in the Office.

Ended up setting up VPN on their router and installing VNC on the host PC.

molgrips
    Free Member

OK within a home network though… depending what you’re doing.

It would be within a home network mostly, but also occasionally from Starbucks etc.

Also might need remote wake-up, but that’s another issue. Looked into it before.

allan23
    Free Member

Actually just realised, Friday fog lifted momentarily, Team Viewer should do it for personal use.

I’d not used it before as it was a commercial situation and the tight customer wouldn’t pay.

Nearly the weekend.

andyfla
    Free Member

Teamviewer is excellent, I have an unattended pc i log into for testing – doesn’t do remote wake-up as far as I know

retro83
    Free Member

Here you go:

https://github.com/binarymaster/rdpwrap

Open source RDP wrapper. Have a feeling RDP is slightly broken from 8 onwards, so check that first (something to do with resuming sessions)

somouk
    Free Member

Any of the bits that use VNCServer should do it or teamviewer.

I use teamviewer through work and it’s a great bit of kit.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have you got a secure connection into your work pc then – what are you using for that ?

Cisco GoToMyPc seems to work quite quickly nowadays and is less than £2 a week, which seems like a good deal to be able to lounge about in Starbucks rather than go into the office…

molgrips
    Free Member

This is purely for home stuff. My wife was using a cloud chrome app for writing but it let her down this morning. It also posed a big risk because the app stored her work on its own AWS storage which we could not access.

So the plan was to go back to the windows software she was using, but we didn’t want to ditch the Chromebook for portability.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Remote desktop hosting on W10’ is closed to new replies.