Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Remote Desktop help – Mac to Windows
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I use Remote Desktop to access my work laptop from my Mac. It works without much fuss until I need to reboot my laptop. At this point the remote connection drops regularly – sometimes every couple of minutes – until something happens and it stabilises again.

I don’t reboot my laptop often but it’s regularly enough for this to be a pain. Any ideas?

allthegear
    Free Member

Presumably, you cannot just connect directly to your laptop at work, you must be going through some sort of VPN or other similar service?

I’m guessing that the communication between your work laptop and that server is an issue. I’m not sure what it is without knowing more about your works’ network setup.

Rachel

dan1980
    Free Member

I regularly use the NX client/server between windows and Linux boxs at work and home, both through a VPN and not. I’ve never had any real problems, so bit could be worth a go?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Rachel, I work from home so the Mac and work laptop are on the same network and physically in the same room. No VPN needed.

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah – got you. Pick up the work laptop, then! 😛

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Pick up the work laptop, then

😆 I knew someone would suggest that

Seriously though, I MUCH prefer using a big screen and proper keyboard than working on a laptop. It works really well except after a laptop reboot. I then spend the morning dropping the remote connection which is extremely frustrating and unproductive.

Sandwich

Sometimes the windows machine going to sleep can cause it to drop from the network in Finder.

Which version of windows is on the work laptop? Which version of MasOS on the laptop?
    If any firewall software is enabled on either machine, make sure this software allows access by enabling either the IP or MAC address of your Mac Laptop on the windows machine.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Win 7 Pro with all the latest updates installed
    Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

I usually leave my laptop on and let it go to sleep. I then wake it from the laptop before remotely logging in from my Mac. I do this every day without issue. Only when I reboot my Windows laptop (usually after an update) do I begin to have problems. After a few hours – without me consciously doing anything to resolve it – it starts behaving again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Remote Desktop help – Mac to Windows’ is closed to new replies.