Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Remit of, and responsibility for, 'lollipop' crossing attendants
  • higgo
    Free Member

I think we’ve covered some of this before, at least in part, but can anyone provide any facts on the role of the ‘lollipop lady’ (who may not always be a lady but is in this case).

This morning, on the way to work, she steps out in front of me with not a child in sight. We wait and eventually a dog-walker appears and crosses. Doggy gets a pat from lollipop lady. Lollipop lady remains in place as there’s another dog-walker ambling toward the crossing point. Again, doggy gets a pat and lollipop lady trudges back to the pavement.

So, specifically, does anyone know what the remit is for crossing attendants i.e. should her traffic-stopping activities be limited to school children only or can she stop traffic for whoever she likes?

Also who employs them? Is it the council? Which dept?

If she’s acting outside her remit, it is only right that I inform her employer.

Note that I was not delayed – I caught up with the car in front once we got on to the twisty bits – and I am not angry.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I reckon that chap on snowheads has got some competition.

wwaswas

this was on ‘Black Bag’ in Viz years ago so I’m an expert.

they’re only allowed to help children.

wallace1492
    Free Member

So….. not delayed, couple of dog walkers get across, and you have a rant on here! Some people need a real life…..

It is a shame that we need crossing attendents, as plenty of drivers would not stop to let someone cross (perhaps you?) even though as shown it would not delay you in the slightest.

Be considerate on the road, let people cross, do a good deed.

higgo
    Free Member

I am a skier as well.

😀

edit: and I don’t feel like I’m ranting. And I do let people cross (and even out of junctions).

Torminalis
    Free Member

Edric64
    Free Member

Thought they only had powers to stop traffic to help kids or parents with kids cross?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Thought they only had powers to stop traffic to help kids or parents with kids cross?

Maybe true, but most folk aren’t going to run them over when they’re in the middle of the road 😛

allthepies
    Free Member

Just cycle through…

….and incur the wrath 😈

MountainMutant
    Free Member

There’s one near me who catches me EVERY morning.

Grr

I am angry

maccruiskeen

Maybe the were just very ugly, hairy kids. On leads.

woody2000

Under UK law it is an offence for a motorist not to stop if signalled to do so by a patroller. In the past patrollers only had the authority to stop the traffic for children. However, the Transport Act 2000 changed the law was so that a patroller had the authority to stop the traffic for any pedestrian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_guard#Australia_and_the_United_Kingdom

Sadly this is also on there <shakes head>

Due to an increase in abuse, threats and other aggressive behaviour from some drivers, signs with built-in hi-tech cameras are being introduced to record offenders, cars and registrations.

higgo
    Free Member

Thank you Woody. It looks like she was acting within her remit and I will take this no further.

wwaswas

*sighs*

there’s always someone who wades in with the facts and spoils it all.

😉

woody2000

Sorry! 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

Sadly this is also on there <shakes head>

But not at all surprising. Sadly.

Man + Car = Instant Penis

And increasingly, Woman + Car = Instant Penis too …

wwaswas

It’s surprising more men don’t spend all day driving in and out of their garage, really.

duirdh
    Free Member

Anyone know higgo’s employer and remit?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

You snotty little grass.

wwaswas

You snotty little grass.

steady on.

I still think this was a joke post. Maybe a 😉 at the end would have helped, though.

higgo
    Free Member

Anyone know higgo’s employer and remit?

I do.

higgo
    Free Member

I still think this was a joke post.

They all are, aren’t they?

higgo
    Free Member

It’s surprising more men don’t spend all day driving in and out of their garage, really.

I don’t have a garage and have to leave mine outsdie all night.

wwaswas

They all are, aren’t they?

I think the UK Bike Store bloke meant it.

tone very difficult to convey in writing without additional clues, though.

I don’t have a garage and have to leave mine outsdie all night.

At least you don’t have to put a tarpaulin over it every evening.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It could also be right that you throw a ball at her and if she doesn’t give it back right away or falls on it, you could give her a kicking

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Remit of, and responsibility for, 'lollipop' crossing attendants’ is closed to new replies.