• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Reminders For Vehicle Tax, But Not MOTs – Why?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Just curious, as the MOT database has been computerised for a while now*, why we do not get reminders through the post like we do with vehicle tax? I would have thought a friendly reminder** regarding keeping ones vehicle in a roadworthy state, would be a good idea?

*To the point where you can check both the status, and history of a vehicles MOT.

**Yes, I know it should fall on the individuals personal responsibility first, and foremost.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you can opt into a text alert service.

its a couple quid and it works well.

maccruiskeen

Some of the more switched on test centres are quite good at sending out reminders too. I think with tax the reminder form is part of the documentation you need get the car taxed, and its goes some way to validating the registered address as well, conversely the MOT doesn’t relate the owner of the car – your address isn’t on it and you don’t need to present a past MOT to be tested. But I expect things will go the other way – now everything is computerised we’ll stop getting paper reminders for tax especially now post is so pricy.

Things like VAT correspondance and returns are now paperless, so I think road tax will be too soon.

DezB
    Free Member

I need one, I always forget.

Hmm, maybe I should use Outlook…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a bloody pain! A friend had this happen to him recently.

I liked the little stickers they used to stick in the top right hand corner of the windscreen with the next due date on it. Anyone’s garage still do that?

Stoner
    Free Member

I agree. Missed mine on the stonermobile – Due last october, only remembered last week 😳

maccruiskeen

Anyone’s garage still do that?

Theres someone on the forum (I forget who exactly) who I believe is a big player in the post-it note world, perhaps he can send you some samples 🙂

mangoridebike

my wife got stopped yesterday by an unmarked car as the fact we’d overlooked having the MOT done got flagged up on their system.

a £60 fine and a polite but firm “don’t do it again”

I’m definitely a fan of as many reminders as possible

jota180
    Free Member

Reminders For Vehicle Tax, But Not MOTs – Why?

Because when you tax a vehicle it goes straight into the Gov coffers, a MOT only nets them a couple of quid.
    That’s why garages are the ones that do all the reminding, it’s not cost effective for the Gov to do it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s not illegal to have a car without MOT; it is illegal to have a car without tax (or SORN).

With MOT it’s the using of it.

gonefishin
    Free Member

If only there was some sort of almost ubiquitous electronic device that could be used to generate a reminder…

totalshell

not all cars/bikes etc require an MOT… vehicles less than 3 years old and those manufactured before 1958 dont need one for starters..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I quite like forgetting tbh. I just have 14 month-ish MOTs now. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

vehicles less than 3 years old and those manufactured before 1958 dont need one for starters..

er, I’m guessing here, but maybe those owners wouldn’t then need reminders?

patriotpro
    Free Member

As trail-rat says.

Jamie
    Free Member

If only there was some sort of almost ubiquitous electronic device that could be used to generate a reminder…

A microwave?

nedrapier

our car is an occasional weekend use vehicle (we both cycle to work) so we’ve strategically let it slip if we’re not using it.

In a few years we’ve shifted it from a “not along with everything else!” December/Christmas thing to a well into January thing. might try to get it into February next year!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“those manufactured before 1958 dont need one for starters”

that was a stupid mistake from the government there …. i hope they have as stern rules as they do for tow trucks(which can also be exempt) if found unroadworthy

will
    Free Member

That text messaging service looks good! I still get texts from the garage I used to use telling me the car is due an MOT even though I sold it about 2 years ago 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Reminders For Vehicle Tax, But Not MOTs – Why?’ is closed to new replies.