Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Remember the on-one pompetamine fork/disc hub problem?
  • jonba
    Free Member

I commute on a pompetamine. I think it may be due some new wheels. I built it myself and was lucky in that the 6 bolt hub just about clears the fork. There was an issue with the bolts on some hubs fouling and causing problem. Bit worried about shelling out on some wheels to find they don’t work.

I remember the original advice being to use centrelock but that limits me to shimano? I don’t want to ever use cup and cone wheels again so that is a no go. Cheap is essential, I was think Superstar/Prime or similar around £140

Anybody remember if other solutions were available. So far google has thrown up various options of different severity.

-Use low profile bolts (limited chance of success)
    -Use a small shim on each side of the hub. Steel for so should be ok for the 0.25mm or so needed.
    -Bash the fork/create a small dint in the area where the bolts touch.

new cheap fork is also an option but not many about.

As it is due a substantial rebuild (wheels, drive chain, tyres, cables, BB, bar tape) I am thinking of just replacing it but it seems a shame as it still just works.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Just go with Shimano centrelock and ride the wheel into the ground. I reckon you’ll get 2 years minimum.

jkomo

Where are you?
    I’ve got some SS wheels you could try.

cookeaa

DT do centrelock hubs too, Shimano might be better VFM though to be fair. Cup and cone ain’t that bad really.

Edit; you should be able to find different centrelock novatec too,

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve just (as in yesterday when I got back from work) got some On-One disk compatible wheels (6 bolt not centre lock) that were on offer at £70. They are probably cup and cone though. They are in the cyclocross section on their site. I’m fitting them to an old Pompetamine frame that I’m converting to single speed, I’ll let you know how I get on

thomthumb
    Free Member

I asked at the time they came out and lots not f people reported 6 bolt hubs were ok. Built. Mine with desire and it was fine. Swapped to SP dynamo and that’s fine too.

whitestone
    Free Member

I put a self built front wheel with Schmidt dynamo hub on the Pompetamine, it had no issues with fouling the forks. When I got a Croix de Fer for commuting I swapped front wheels and the wheel/rotor from the CdF didn’t foul the forks either.

nixie

I’ve got a charge disc road fork on mine. No issues with that.

wwaswas

wheels, drive chain, tyres, cables, BB, bar tape

sell the complete bike as a (just) going concern. Buy a new frame with the proceeds and then add all the bits you were going to replace anyway.

thomthumb
    Free Member

My previous post reads like google translate! Thanks auto correct!

*lots of people reported no issues.

Used *deore & SP hubs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I remember the original advice being to use centrelock but that limits me to shimano? I don’t want to ever use cup and cone wheels again so that is a no go.

You’ve got 3 options then.

1) Find some non-shimano centerlock, mehhhh
    2) Learn some mechanical sympathy, C&C hubs are a lot easier to work on than cartridges, you just need tools that aren’t a hammer.
    3) Get the latest shimano hubs with the indexed bearings, although the grumpy old man in me want’s to hate them for making C&C adjustment easy rather than an art you had to learn.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Buy a new fork aswell as some new wheels. In fact I’m about to sell a kinesis DC37 carbon jobby, buy that.

whitestone
    Free Member

Well went for my first ride on the Pompey SS. No problems to report between bolt mounted disk and forks, in fact there’s probably 3mm gap between bolt heads and fork which should be more than enough on a road going bike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Remember the on-one pompetamine fork/disc hub problem?’ is closed to new replies.