Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • relocating to Rotherham
  • unovolo
    Free Member

Went to Planet X that way a few months back and took the scenic(?) route back to the motorway.
    It reminded me of a cross between 28days later and Dog soldiers, I’m certainly not in a rush to revisit the place,and only live the otherside of the pennines.

ads678

I worked for rotherham council drainage section a few years back. I had lots of site visits all over rov. There are some nice bits but most of it is dead or dieing. It really has nothing going for it, which is sad as this basically because it’s so close to sheffield. And i’m saying this as someone who grew up in one of the roughest parts of Leicester.

There are so many nice places within a 40 minute drive of rotherham, I would live somewhere else.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I worked there for well over a decade between the steel works and sewage place where they literally pile up human waste for fun.. It’s proper grim.
    The commute from west sheffield is a total pain if working normal office hours. Some nice villages on the edge of the Pennines to the north which is where I’d look, countryside and a speedy commute in. Out to the east it’s good for roadies as it can often be dry when the peaks are wet. But then I’d still prefer the drizzle in the peak.

Mind you sheffield has seen better days, the town centre is a disgrace.

problem0
    Free Member

You might like to consider Chesterfield. Excellent rail commute to Rotherham (or Sheffield), and cheaper than Sheffield. If you are still considering Rotherham after the helpful descriptions above, have a look at the film “4 lions” first. I lived in Tinsley for a while and the film has very accurate backdrop of that area twixt sheffield/M1 jn34/Rotherham.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry S6 (Hillsbrough) is not 25mins from Rotherham Hospital, its more like 40 mins to 1hr at rush hour.

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it just me?

It ain’t Rock n’ Roll, it’s Grenoside.

Always say it when I drive through.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m with Pook,literally – he lived up the road, some great places in Rotherham as discussed.

I grew up around Whiston, 5 minutes from the hospital, and it was lovely. Yeah there are places to avoid but where isn’t there?

Wickersley or grange estate, Spinneyfield etc would be great. Plenty of house for your budget too.

RustySpanner

johnellison- was the pub you mention The Kettledrum in Cliviger, by any chance?

antigee

mrs antigee worked in central Rotherham for quite a while – we lived over beyond Grenoside – 30minute drive – Wickersly, Whiston are close to the Hospital but not so good for riding. Sister in law has lived in Aston many years and Brother in law rides a bit down at Rother valley

I’d def give a look at Chapeltown area and Burncross and possibly some parts of Thorpe Hesley (not sure on schools for Thorpe Hesley did you mention kids?) 20mins drive to hospital and access to good riding from home at Wharncliffe thru Grenoside and good road riding out towards Penistone

edit but check about the HS2 line!

swampi
    Free Member

thanks for the replies guys, it helps,I don’t have to live in Rotherham I just don’t want her to be commuting more than 20 mins or so for selfish reasons(so i can be out biking in the evening), off road riding isn’t too important for me as am more of a roadie/cross rider now, it’s a minefield moving somewhere unknown

compositepro
    Free Member

Move to Wentworth 5 mins from rotherham

ahwiles
    Free Member

thinking about it a bit more…

Mosey’s right.

Whiston – it’s quite nice actually, your wife could walk to work in 15 mins, and you’ve got quiet roads and bridleways* heading out into forever from the end of the road.

a few more miles and you can ride into the peak district through ‘the side door’

(*and hassle-free cheeky stuff too)

jackthedog
    Free Member

Pook is the man to trust, but if you decide Rotherham isn’t for you there are some decent areas in North Sheffield you might want to check out (handily near lots of nice trails too, which might help) that are a short and surprisingly painless commute away from Rotherham (over Thorpe Hesley).

edward2000
    Free Member

Is the internet available in Rotherham yet?

antigee

The internet is available Planet x and JE James have web ability but both have reputations for not answering the phone must be post industrial deafness. Incidentally the grimest part of Rotherham -Tinsley is actually part of Sheffield

Pook

Some of the arguments on here are funny. Using the example – rotherham”s crap, look at tinsley is like saying Chipping Sodbury is mucky, look at the bins behind budgens….

andeh

You could always live in Doncaster? 😆

…..but really, there’s lots of decent road riding round here.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Pook, be honest with the exception of the ‘trendy ‘village’ of Wickerey it’s where the pipe will be shoved when the world gets an enema.

My mate lives in Wickerey. He was complaining nobody will visit him as it’s too dodgy to risk it. 😆

Is the internet available in Rotherham yet?

No, but they have something similar called the tinternet.

mightymule
    Free Member

I live in Kimberworth. It’s not too bad.

Moorgate is nice, as is Wentworth, Thorpe Hesley and Scholes village.

(I can’t afford a house in any of those places….)

Town Centre resembles the Night of the Living Dead, but there is a simple solution to that – don’t go!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Only been their once to watch my local footie team play

General consensus of opinion was “what a shithole” and that was from people who live in some of London’s most deprived boroughs

Lots of closed down shops and bargain booze places with sprayed up metal shutters. Saw a booze delivery truck that proclaimed “making life richer for the poorer”

Suppose the housing would be cheap, but in the top three of most crap places I have ever been to

Pook

So TT, you’ve been to the centre and millmoor?

muzzle
    Free Member

It’s “making life richer for the pourer”, which makes the meaning entirely different from what you’re implying…

postierich
    Free Member

Rotherham is a shit hole and that’s coming from someone from Scunthorpe 😯

daveh
    Free Member

Plenty of worse places to live than Rotherham, and plenty of nice places to live within commuting distance. I’d still look at Sheffield as a better option – all depends on your budget.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Of my peer group and their siblings, anyone who could leave has done so. It was a great little town up to the 80s and it has been spiralling downwards ever since, aided and abetted by the worst town council in history, closure of heavy industry, pit closures and the arrival of Meadowhall. There are a few small oases in the gloom but there are much better places to live.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Millmoor was a shithole but drive down Morgate/grange estate and it’s a very different place.

Oh and I’m not having that Scunthorpe comment – just driving through there makes me suicidal 😉

swampi
    Free Member

well venturing a bit further north to look at a place in. ‘ jump ‘ next weekend, so will have a good look round

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Is that Jump near Barnsley?

swampi
    Free Member

yes, is that a bad thing lol

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Well, it’s no better or worse than a lot of places. I can’t say anything, I moved here (Darfield) from Cornwall. Been here nearly six years now, primarily for the local school, and I work at the local psychiatric hospital (Kendray). We’re now looking to emigrate to Oz, but on the whole, it’s not been a bad six years. I think it was easier for me to settle here as I’m originally from Wakefield (about fifteen miles away), though my wife has struggled at times, due mainly to people thinking she’s ‘posh’ because of her accent (she grew up in Cambridge).

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Penistone’s nice (as well as having a comedy name), and Cawthornes lovely, though expensive.

tangoman19
    Free Member

Started life in Matlby – The Capital of Yorkshire.

Via Worksop (a lot better than it was 20 year ago), Hillsborough (hectic), Kimberworth (cess pit), I have now found happiness in Brinsworth (easy to please).

As said, Wickersley, Bramley, Ravenfield, Thorpe Hesley, Scholes and Wentworth are seen as the better parts of the town. Brinsworth suiting me fine though, though I’m eyeing near by Treeton as a contender for my next and hopefully final move. If you’re capable of mixing with decent working class people for the most part then its alright. I’ve got a decent 2 hour mtb loop round Treeton Woods/Rother Valley for local blasts as well as peaks 30 mins away.

I’ve been to Middleborough and Moscow. Therefore, I am happy with Rotherham.

swampi
    Free Member

cheers guys

daveh
    Free Member

Lived in Brinsworth myself, it was fine and you could get a mean special kebab at the local chippy! Didn’t quite move to Penistone, stopped at Thurgoland. 5 mins ride to Wharncliffe, 5 mins drive to Cutgate.

compositepro
    Free Member

I live in penistone its awesome …theres tons of farm animals

Theres loads of houses and flats on the market here

Barnsleymitch did they not move kendray psych to pogmoor? or was that a rumour

thorpie
    Free Member

I live in Rotherham, Scholes to be precise, nice area especially Scholes Village. Scholes, Thorpe Hesley and Wentworth are all nice but I agree the centre is a dump, that’s why we have Meadowhall though isn’t it? I work in the centre of Sheffield, 5.5miles commute and Greno is only a 20 minute bike ride away so it’s all good here.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Avoid Rotherham. Forget the short commute thing for your missus, go a bit further out and have a MUCH better life.

For around £200k you’ll get a nice 3 bed Semi in S11 (Greystones, Hunters Bar, High Storrs, Beauchief, Banner Cross), about 25-30 minutes commute from Rotherham.

The mountain biking in particular is nothing short of stunning. I used to live off Greystones Drive and had a choice of loops between 8-24 miles for an evening ride, which used about 2 miles of quiet roads at the very most.

If I put my mind to it I could navigate myself all the way to Hope using about 3 miles of road – quite possible to have a monster day out in the Peaks without using the car.

It’s a 5 minute ride to Dore train station, which takes you to Hope if you feel lazy or stack it in a big way and can’t ride back.

The Greystones is a good boozer as well – friendly, interesting beers, lots of live music & stand up in the back room.

If you have nippers or are planning, all the good schools are in South West Sheff.

I miss the place. Whenever we go back to meet friends I always take a bike and factor in a few hours entertainment around Dore, Houndkirk, Stanage etc.

mightymule
    Free Member

Or mortgage your kidneys and move to Whirlow. 45 minutes to Rotherham town centre.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Composite pro – I never heard about a move to pogmoor. To be honest, there’s not a great deal left on the Kendray site, other than the Oakwell centre, where I work, which is a male acute ward, a female acute ward and a PICU.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘relocating to Rotherham’ is closed to new replies.