Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Relocating to Cumbria
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

We are leaving North Wales in April next year, and moving to Cumbria. We have looked around and have decided on the Wigton area, south of Carlisle. This is mainly for the school, (Nelson Thomlinson) and cost of property. Plus it wasn’t too badly effected by the recent floods.

The only thing is I don’t know the area too well. What is it like? Is there any local riding?

Plus any areas locally to avoid due to flooding etc…

Cheers.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I don’t think there was much flooding that way – Cockermouth, Keswick and Carlisle were all hit hard, but I don’t recall hearing anything about Wigton.

Riding wise – looks like there are trails around Caldbeck/Fellside which could be worth exploring. I haven’t ridden quite that far around the top end of the Lakes, but the area is pretty scenic when I have been up working (Caldbeck way, rather than Wigton). If it were me I would be looking to live up there rather than in the town itself – although the prices are probably a good bit higher!

Wigton itself is okay. Stopped off there a few times and have a couple of jobs in and around the town that I go to a couple of times a year so don’t really know it very well. Always seems nice and friendly enough though. Some lovely houses too….

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Anecdotally there is the legend of the ‘Wigton Stench’ – an all pervading smell, allegedly from the Innovia Films factory in the town.

TomB

Cockermouth and Keswick are also good/outstanding secondary schools. I much prefer both towns to Wigton, and am lucky enough to live near Keswick, but property is that much more. I suppose it depends if your going to drive to all your amenities, I like being near enough Keswick to ride in, kids ride to school, don’t drive much! Where is work? If flexible, the other option is Penrith and area. Nice market town, QEGS grammar school very well though of, if you can get in.

If your connections are south, there are benefits to being closer to M6 and west coast mainline, although it’s not too bad fromw Wigton to j41.

Edit- flood problems are down to specific small areas of each town, don’t right them off as a whole. For example, most of Keswick properties are fine, a few poor sods in small parts of town just keep getting hammered.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Tom, Penrith is too far to commute. We love Cockermouth and Keswick, but we are struggling to find a property that suits us/within budget/large enough etc. We would prefer village life and are up in January to scope out the areas etc. Mrs Monkeysfeet mum and dad had a cottage in Thornthwaite for a few years so we know that end of the area very well. Wigton (and surrounding catchment area) seems to offer the best compromise for us all (school/commute/property price)

Trekster

School grades/statistics aren’t all they are cracked up to be as my daughter has found out. She moved to get her eldest into the “best” school in Carlisle, she is now looking to move her youngest next summer as eldest leaves for secondary. What she found out during the last OFSTED inspection was something I had been telling her for years, the results prove nothing. The school was downgraded from “excellent” to “good” As a teacher herself she was disgusted at some of the “practices” that became apparent post inspection.
    Her school went from good to excellent and she gained an excellent on her first personal appraisal 😆

If looking @Wigton you might want to look at the coast, Silloth, Whitehaven etc?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I would be looking at Caldbeck, Hesket Newmarket and Sebergham myself… and the other villages/hamlets in that kind of an area.

Never noticed the stench – and Innovia is one of my sites 😉

TomB

House prices unfortunately are higher, but the villages between Wigton and skiddaw are also lovely. Ireby, uldale, mealsgate, torpenhow etc.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Capt. Kronos – Member
    I would be looking at Caldbeck, Hesket Newmarket and Sebergham myself… and the other villages/hamlets in that kind of an area.

Never noticed the stench – and Innovia is one of my sites

To be fair, I’ve only ever passed through Wigton once in the 15 years I’ve lived in Keswick, and I didn’t notice an usual smell. Capt. Kronos will know better than I do 😀

monkeysfeet – places like Fletchertown, Bothel and Ireby are also worth a look.

Harris
    Free Member

Capt. Kronos makes good suggestions with those villages, also consider Thursby and Dalston. Silloth is lovely when the weather is good, great sea views and beach. Tourists will flock to the coastal towns in the the summer though. Fantastic from the door road riding if that’s your thing but you really need to be a bit more inland for off road. That said, you’re only half an hour ish into Keswick. Dalston has a secondary school although I’ve no idea how good or bad it is. Nelson Tomlinson has a very good reputation.
    HTH

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers Gents. We have seen a house in Mealsgate and is on our list to view. 😀

As we will be close to the coast I reckon a Fatbike could be a sensible purchase 😉

Nelson Thom was recommended by a friend from Allonby, as well as the Ofstead reports. We have heard mixed things about Cockermouth School from other parents/friends.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Silloth & Caldbeck are out on a limb somewhat, friends live in Caldbeck and all they do is drive their kids to Carlisle & back for activities, they regret moving there now.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Ha. Torpenhow. Just make sure you don’t pronounce it like its written.

Penrith to Carlisle commute isn’t very hard, the motorway is considerably less hassle then further darn sarf and Penrith is a good little town really – speaking as someone who grew up there.

Not convinced by Wigton but not had much to do with it personally. I’d definitely be aiming closer to the hills or motorway depending on needs!

breadcrumb

^You mean Trapenna!

I grew up in Wigton, I wouldn’t move there!

I attended Nelson Thomlinson, can’t fault it, scores well in tests and has sent a few pupils to Oxford I think.

The surrounding villages are nice enough though. If/when you find somewhere feel free to ask about it.

jp-t853

How about Skelton or Sebergham, handy for Wigton, Carlisle, Penrith and Greystoke/Lakes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rent for 6 months first if you can, at the moment the entire property market will be on it’s head and unfortunately so will the rental market. After the last floods the insured home owners were all put into every available property so choice became very limited, would expect similar again this time.

Not been through Wigtn for a while but the smell was very noticeable but I’m sure you get used to it. Penrith to Carlisle isn’t much of a commute, don’t really ever remember traffic on that section of the M6 and Penrith has lots going on in it.

CraigW
    Free Member

You can check the Environment Agency flood maps, to find out what areas are at risk. http://watermaps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/wiyby.aspx?topic=floodmap#x=357683&y=355134&scale=2

twosheds
    Free Member

I did the same 7 years ago. NTS is certainly a good school. We rented for a year or so until the right house came up. The closer you are to the national park the more cash you will pay, until it becomes ridiculously expensive. Lots of nice villages close to Wigton. Might want to consider the bus routes, will be handy as your kids get older. You will be a taxi!
    Measgate is ok, watch out for proximity to the A595, it’s a seriously busy road, the noise travels a long way. Let me know if you want any more info……

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Relocating to Cumbria’ is closed to new replies.