Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Relocating for work
  • crispo
    Free Member

Right, I’m on a graduate scheme and have recently been asked to move for work. I started the scheme in August 2010. When I started it was mentioned that I could be moved but I have been located in the same office ever since. Since i started I have got engaged and bought a house with my fiance.

Now I have been asked to move where my job is based (6 months in one location then 6 months in another, then who knows). My company have made it clear there is no budget for living expenses ie. accommodation or commuting from where we live now.

A friend has told me that I can claim these expense back from the tax man though. Is this right?

I know the usual advice is to see an accountant but as cash is tight I though i’d rather ask the collective on here first.

Thanks

donsimon
    Free Member

I know the usual advice is to see an accountant but as cash is tight I though i’d rather ask the collective on here first.

First meeting with an accountant might just be free…

bonchance
    Free Member

Cheeky barstewards imho

They should meet your reasonable expenses if it’s at their request.

Of course if your running down an opportunity they have for you, and it’s your choice, then suck it up.

Otherwise is it a small company or has a misunderstanding arisen – it does not seem equitable on face of it?

headpotdog
    Free Member

I agree. Very cheeky indeed!!

I was on a graduate trainee scheme too a few years ago based in Leeds and after 1 month they asked me to move to London to work on a company merger. The company paid for my accomodation and evening meals for 7 months (although it was a just a scruffy room in a house in Ealing), but they didn’t pay for my travel expenses from Leeds. I thought that was bad enough at the time TBH, as I hated living down there and travelled home nearly every weekend, but at least they went some way towards being covering my expenses.

My advice is to check your contract of employment first. Does it define the location of your regular place of work? If it does & they are asking you to work somewhere else, then they have an obligation to covering your expenses. I doubt you’d be able to claim back expenses from the tax man, but check it with a qualified accountant to make sure you make the most of what might be a crappy situation. If they don’t change their offer, I’d be asking myself if I really want to stay with a company that treats me like thatin the longer term though!!

footflaps

Unless you want to move or really love the job, I’d quit – they’re taking the piss. Even my employee unfriendly company would pay expenses for a 6 month placement i.e. accomodation costs plus living costs.

freeagent
    Free Member

^^^what he said, unless its a dream job that could lead to better things i’d bin it.. they are taking the p*ss out of you…

dyls

Its unrealistic to be expected to move around without any expenses.

GJP
    Free Member

Are you in the retail sector? What does your contract say?

I have had male friends who worked in retail who were asked to move on 24-48 hours notice. Worked in one store on a Sat to closing time and expected to work in another store on Monday morning half way up/down the country. No expenses or relocation.

Another friend worked for M&S. M&S pretty much deliberately tried to break up his relationship with his girlfriend, by sending him to work in Belfast in the “old days”, after a few extended stints there, they finally gave him his bullet proof vest. They never did break up his relationship.

I made a mental note never to work in retail.

So, I think it is unreasonable and underhand, in some sectors it was pretty much the norm when I graduated, but I am showing my age!

br
    Free Member

The choice you seem to have is FIFO.

Agree that I’d have expected expenses, but then I’ve no real idea of your deal/agreement.

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments all.

Job is as a graduate civil engineer. I have looked at my contract and it does say that they may require me to move location due to the ‘modular nature’ of the graduate scheme. It does also say they will give me 6 months notice of any move. Its looking like they might want me to move within the month at the moment.

Will have to give some real consideration to what I should do. Whilst I know that the graduate scheme is a stepping stone up the ladder I think I will struggle to pay lodgings, commuting, livingg costs away from home as well as my outgoings back at home too.

Doesnt help that we are meant to be getting married next year and this will mean I am working away up until then too!

onehundredthidiot

So they expect you to be able to run two house for six months with no expenses. Sounds a bit ripe if you ask me. Bottom rung or not i’d think they’d offer something.

I was a “mobile grade” in a past life and ended up much better off when they relocated me. Mind six months of commuting mixed with eating out don’t half mean you gotta put some miles in on the bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

have you talked to your boss about this rather than HR ?

when i first started my contract stipulated “expected to work weekends and time abroad and at other locations with in reason for no extra money”

i got told i was going to Equatorial guinea for indefinant period

complained to my boss and he said – ok are you going out to work as part of the crew or an extra fella – said part of the crew as far as im aware. he confirmed it with the project engineer and voila i was paid well for my time there. point being – squeeky wheel gets no oil

Gary_M
    Free Member

When I started it was mentioned that I could be moved

Did you ask then if there would be reloation expenses? Before you bought your house did you ask if a move was likley and if so what would be the financial impact?

I would have thought graduate trainees would be expected to move as the company sees fit.

footflaps

I have a friend who is a civil engineer and moves around a lot with placements (each project can be 6-18 months), but his employer gives a per-diem allowance which pays for B&B and food.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’ve been on a similar grad scheme and have had the following experiences:

1. When asked to do placements, they always paid expenses. As stated above, how can they expect you to run two homes and cover the additional cost of working away from your normal office.

2. They asked me to do an overseas placement at a time that didn’t suit me personally (ie: right through summer and I’d just met a fine lass, with whom I now have two fine children). I just said no, sorry I’m not going and told them why.

My advice is stand firm and do not cave in. If they try and bully you into it, you still stand firm and think about if you really want to work for such a firm.

batfink
    Free Member

My policy with things of this nature is to be open an honest with your boss….. go out of your way to explain that you ARE willing to relocate, but it’s not reasonable to expect that this can happen at such short notice AND without any financial assistance.

The key to any negotiation is to figure out what you want. Is your objective here not to have to relocate? Or to get some relocation expenses met? Or to get more notice? If it’s combination of all these things – figure out what would be acceptable to you.

And the hardest thing: figure out at what point you are going to walk away. If they just say “no” to everything, are you willing to resign?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Relocating for work’ is closed to new replies.