Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Reliability of fork etc after car crash?
  • mrelectric

Just smashed into a car that pulled out in front of me turning right
    outside after coming down off Baildon Moor. I'm off a 2nd day with concussion & whiplash; CTC solicitors engaged. Insurance companies can sort it out. Could be a lot, lot worse.
    Front wheel totally tacoed after 45deg hit sideways at 15-20MPH. I'm not sure about fork + other stuff. This is a Marin Rock Springs Tara with Fox 32 Vanilla R '07 (std QR, not bolt thru). Even if it looks OK does anyone have experience on longer-term reliability of safety-critical parts; e.g.: cracks around fork drop outs or stanchions? Same with ATB alloy bars. Frame etc is getting checked out. This was a sideways blow, not straight on so less strength in the bike. I'm pretty sure some bits need to be scrapped, but I want to know what to reasonably replace!

Cheers

wwaswas

take it all to Marin dealer and get hem to do a full inspection and report. I assume you'll be claiming on the drivers insurance and you don't want to end up with a bike you can't trust.

mdavids
    Free Member

I'm just going through something similar myself. Had my bike in the boot of my car and got rear-ended quite severely. The only outward sign of damage is that I have to prize my front forks apart slightly to get the wheel in. Took it to my LBS and they told me that neither them nor the manufacturer could guarantee the safety of the bike anymore and it should be completely replaced.

mrelectric

LBS have just told me a whole new bike is advised, for safety reasons, as mdavids above.

Not sure about a claming a replacement. Guess will need to haggle with driver's insurance co.
    Any experiences out there please?

Cheers

ex-pat
    Free Member

Can you get the LBS opinion in writing – would go a long way if you can get an expert opinion on record.
    Get them to quote building a like for like replacement too.
    That will give you good grounds for your insurance to claim back from the other party. Let your insurance do the haggling.
    Make sure you claim big for injuries and recuperation, that'll get negotiated down to something sensible then.
    And don't feel bad about claiming, that's why you and the other party have insurance…

jond
    Free Member

>Make sure you claim big for injuries and recuperation
    >And don't feel bad about claiming,

In this case, that sounds fair enough. But bear in mind anyone taking the p*ss and claiming for injury when there is none just helps increase everyone's insurance – it's personal injury claims that have bumped up the cost of insurance over the last few years.

Hope yer soon sorted !

turboferret

I've had 2 bikes written off by other parties insurance after collisions with cars. I've never claimed for any injuries, as I've never had anything too severe, but have had the value of a replacement bike, helmet, clothing etc, one time also a watch which had the face torn off in the crash.

First time I bought the bike back from the insurance company for scrap for £100 (after a pay-out they effectively own the bike) so you may want to factor this in.

Get a written quote from your bike shop stating the bike is a write-off, and a full list of what it should be replaced with including kit etc.

Might take a few chats with the insurers, but should get sorted out pretty quickly IME.

Good luck, hope you're feeling better soon.

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Reliability of fork etc after car crash?’ is closed to new replies.