Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Reinstall OSX (Macbook) over the air?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Macbook Pro, and its been upgraded to Yosemite recently.

I really don’t like YS all that much 🙂 definitely slower, for a start.

If possible, I’d like to downgrade to Mavericks. That worked well for me.

So I’ve done a full backup- and as I’m doing this, I think I’ll stick in a fresh 256GB SSD as well.

I know I can reinstall over WiFi (which I’ve never done)- but would this give me the option to go for Mavericks?

geoffj
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes you can do a restore back to the OS the Mac came with over the internet. That’s very easy. Personally I’d rather use an ethernet cable direct to the router than WiFi.

FYI not sure why you’d say Yosemite is slower, it usually takes a few days for the machine OS to settle down as it does various optimisations. Anyway up to you, there is always a school of users who wait a few months (or longer) before doing OS upgrades. There where plenty of complaints about Mavericks.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Its definitely slower, jambalaya. Been well over a month since I upgraded, and I guess I could live with it, but looking at the new feature set there’s nothing I really use.

And its an excuse to go SSD!

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s the beauty of it being your machine, you can do what you want with it …

On that note how about installing the SSD externally in an enclosure as the boot drive. Now it will definitely be faster but you might consider putting Yosemiti on it and seeing how the machine runs. If its no good go back to Mavericks on it and then when you have all the software etc copied over you can put it inside the machine and then the old HDD in the enclosure for backups etc.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I forgot how fast Mountain Lion is….. 😉

This SSD thing was a good idea!

So, 256GB SSD is in, ML is installed over wifi, original (512Gb) HD is now in a USB 2.0 enclosure, and I’m copying stuff over bit by bit.

Thanks all-

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Reinstall OSX (Macbook) over the air?’ is closed to new replies.