Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Reign or Trance which one ?? Advice greatly appreciated
  • stennah
    Free Member

Hello thanks for reading this, I am on the lookout for a full sus bike and am deliberating between a 2008 trance and a 2007 reign it would mostly be used for xc,singletrack and am which should I plump for ? Thanks again

bigjim

I had a 2007 trance, it was good. 100mm travel, not sure if the 2008 was longer. Not sure what travel the reign was but I guess your main decision points betewen the two are weight and travel, personally I’d err on the short travel side of things but even the 07 Reign is probably less travel than what most people mince about on these days. The Reign might be a bit slacker geometry.

That’s probably confused you even more

stennah
    Free Member

Ha your not wrong there wish I hadn’t asked now ,thanks for replying though

joeegg
    Free Member

I had a 2007 Reign 0 from new and it was a great bike.Moved to it from single pivots and much preferred the multi back end.Not one problem from it apart from routine servicing.Changed the rear pivot bearings myself after about 5 years.Probably slightly underforked with a qr fork but only because the back end is so good.

stennah
    Free Member

How did it rate as a climber ? Mine would have recon 130mm u-turn qr forks or 130mm raidon 15mm front

chakaping
    Free Member

I had a 2008 trance.

Nice light frame, great suspension – fun for xc kind of riding.

Was a short bike even then though, so go up a size or two if u can.

cakefacesmallblock

I had a 2008 Trance until last year. Bought it new as my first full susser, they were a 100mm bike. I upgraded it a bit at a time, but the single biggest change was to run it with a 140mm revelation fork. Yes, it did make it a bit wandery on steep climbs, but this just helped me learn how to get low over the front and make it work. This slightly increased the wheelbase and slackened the head angle, in turn it became a pretty decent bike on steep downs, where it had seemed a bit scary as standard. Maestro rear suspension is very good,
    I often thought perhaps the reign might have been the better AM bike, But for xc mile munching as standard, the trance was very good.

stennah
    Free Member

So a medium reign for me (who’s 5ft 10″) would be a tad too small ?? Got to admit I’m more swayed to the trance but the reign is half the price (trance is a full bike ,reign frame only)

cakefacesmallblock

I’m 5’10 and my Trance was a medium. Wouldn’t have wanted it to be any shorter, but always felt fine. I have stayed with Giant and replaced mo 08 bike with a 2015 Trance SX same size.

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone I fancy the trance but got a feeling it’ll be the reign I get ,thanks again much obliged

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 Trance X1 in Large for sale – light and capable bike with good kit.
    Selling because I’ve bought a new Trance. PM me if interested – email in profile.

stennah
    Free Member

Yes mate I’ve emailed you regards the x1 thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Reign or Trance which one ?? Advice greatly appreciated’ is closed to new replies.