Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reigate Hill XC?
  • rewski
    Free Member

Anyone ride it, might pop over today, worth it?

alfabus
    Free Member

I grew up on Reigate Hill.

Plenty of nice single and double track… not very technical, but good for a nice blast; ride all the way along to headley heath or box hill and back for a decent loop.

There are more techy bits, but they’re a bit hidden away and hard to describe. Go and explore, you’ll find some gems. A ride down the chalk path from the temple is always fun (especially in the rain!!)

Dave

rewski
    Free Member

Cheers Dave, I might just see how far I get, starting from Woldingham North Downs way. Been pretty wet overnight, should be fun.

nuke

I’ve spent a lot of time on Reigate Hill over the years. I nice loop I’d recommend is this…

Park at Reigate Hill and cycle up to the viewpoint with the nice folly.
    Cycle another 200m or so and take a right through the gate heading north.
    Keeping going north on intially road and then a bridleway then back to road until you get to the junction of Stubbs Lane and Mogador Road n Lower Kingswood…there you will see a bridelway heading north east…take that.
    Go across Banstead Heath until you get to Walton on the Hill. Go past the pond and then go right (Sandlands Road). It will get to a 90deg bend…go left down a untamaced road. Take a right at the bottom.
    Go about 30m up the road and before the road bends to the left, go straight on. This will lead to a long chalky rocky path that takes you down to Nohome Farm.
    Follow the main path down to Langely Vale Road and then take a left following the bridleway that runs parallel to the road.
    Go over at the junction and keeping heading South-West…basically you’re now on the Roman Road/Staine Street. Keep following that all the way…you’ll cross the odd road and the M25. This will take you into Mickleham or to the bottom of Box Hill depending on which path.

This instructions are getting complicated to explain…I think its do-able if combined with the right OS map.

:edit: oops, hit post early…I’m adding more

rewski
    Free Member

Cheers nuke

nuke

Part II

Basically probably better to follow Staine Street until it becomes the Downs Road and comes out at the junction of Headley Lane and the B2209.

You can then join the B2209 and head towards Box Hill then climb Box Hill on the bridleway that starts at the bottom of the Zig Zag road. Alternatively head up Headley Lane to a car park about 0.5 mile up on the right and go through the car park and join the bridleway running up (Juniper Bottom)…its a really mare of a climb.

I then follow path north of the road until they come out opposite the Smith & Weston restuarant
    Follow the main road to a rough residental road called Headley Heath Approach. Take that and follow it down to the little car park and go through the gate. You now heading for Headley Heath. Use the bridleway to get to the main car park with cafe.
    From there, follow the bridleway known as Tye Lane
    Cross the B2032
    Use the bridleway to join the North Downs Way…back to Reigate Hill.

I’m sure that’s as clear as mud….sorry, it’s only when you start writing it down you realise how complicated it gets to explain it 🙁

rewski
    Free Member

Wow – really appreciatte it. Thank you

nuke

As said, it’s worth using the OS maps on Multimap/Bing to plot the route I’ve roughly described then pencil out on a real map…not sure how far it is but if its the first time you’ve cycled in the area, it might take a good few hours. If you do do it, good luck 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Reigate Hill XC?’ is closed to new replies.