Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Reheating chinese food – will I die?
  • pondo

Got the remnants of last night’s special fried rice for lunch – if I microwave it, will I die?

ads678

Nuke it, you’ll be fine.

Drac

Not if you make it hot enough.

Why do you think we survive eating fried rice? Well most of th time as botulism is the most common food poisoning.

santacoops
    Free Member
    thecaptain
    Free Member

The reheating rice thing is mostly a racist myth with a smidgin of truth underlying it. I’ve never had any problems eating reheated rice, used to regularly get a big chinese takeaway and eat it over two days.

scaredypants

if it was properly cooked yesterday and then cooled soon after you finished eating, been in your fridge overnight and then heated thoroughly today, you’d be bloody unlikely to be at any risk

The notorious problem with rice is a bacterial toxin which is produced by bacteria that (as spores) survive the initial cooking (esp if the water’s not fully at boiling point) and then start to grow on the rice if it’s left warm for a length of time. While growing they produce toxins that are in/on the rice.

That bit has to have happened in order for any of the following to be relevant:

To destroy the fast-acting vomity toxin you’d have to get your reheated luch REALLY hot, not just reheated to eating temp, and so that’s why it’s fairly common to get this effect.

The (more scary in healthy people) bottom-based splats toxin is destroyed if the food gets above about 60% for a few minutes, so even moderate reheating would protect you from that

scaredypants

I do agree with the capt that it’s exaggerated, not so sure about the racist bit

Drac

Just because botulism ends in ism doesn’t make it racist.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Or Fat-ist too Drac!

Take a whiff, if it smells off, then it probably is.

Make sure it’s piping hot after nuking it.

Then after the steam has settled.

You’ve got the weekend to recover from diarrhoea anyway 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s never given me the bum gravy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I usually eat left over chineese take away food cold, after I come in from cycling home from work. I’ve also heated it up and eaten it.

I’m still alive.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Reheating chinese food – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.