Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Regular rides Ambergate, Crich, Belper Way
  • biking_jk
    Free Member

Hi,

I've recently moved to Ambergate (from Derby) and have been riding a bit around Crich Chase and Ambergate woods. I have noticed a few tracks on my travels and wondered if there are any people that go out regularly – weekends or weeknights that wouldn't mind an extra person joining them for some local rides.

I have been out with the Matlock club once or twice, but it is a bit of trek in the morning from ambergate, when there is what I would consider some fantastic riding on the doorstep.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

the-muffin-man

Depends how quick you are!!!

I'm local but have let myself go rather a lot over the last year so i'm veeeery slow at the minute! I don't do 'gnarly' either – more your old skool xc type!

mail me off-forum if you want to arrange something, sometime…
    themuffins29 (at) googlemail (dot) com

There's this lot as well who do a good mix of rides in the area…
    http://www.dvatc.co.uk

biking_jk
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks for the link, I would be good to get out on a Tuesday night for some local loops if the dreaded work doesn't get in the way!

I am also without a car at the moment, so will only be the local ones.

They've not posted any Sunday rides as yet.

I am sure speed isn't everything and I am no speed demon, I'll email you!

teagirl
    Free Member

Check out the Vet at Riverside Surgery, Scott, he's keen. Fink he's a member of the Matlock Crew. Lots of routes round Ambergate, Crich, Carsington and down to Derby. No big hills tho'.

I used to live in Belper and he showed me a few routes, not that much TBH but good for training. North Yorks? now thats ace.

chrispalmr
    Free Member

There are a lot of good trails in the area, especially if you are able to venture up towards Cromford/Black Rocks and are flexible in your interpretation of cheeky…

takisawa2

Think there's a regular ride from Duffield that loops Ambergate in. I did it once, remember the Ambergate bit well.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Jim,

As you say, Shining Cliff is brilliant for a local ride. I ride there sometimes too. What is crich chase like? any good?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

The back of the Chevin is on a great route I do. It goes though Belper, Hazlewood and drops into Milford via Jacksons Lane which is a fantastic rocky descent to finish off at the pub.

teagirl
    Free Member

rumbledethumps – Member
    The back of the Chevin is on a great route I do. It goes though Belper, Hazlewood and drops into Milford via Jacksons Lane which is a fantastic rocky descent to finish off at the pub.

Yep it's good but way too short, 20min job but you land near The Holly Bush in Milford so you are rewarded.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I'd be happy to show you a few routes……however…….

I've been under the knife recently so won't be riding for another few months 🙁

Get out on the DVATC rides and you'll pick some up in the area.

I'd rather chew my arm off than go out with the Matlock crew.

Don't believe muffin-man – he rides like a rat up a drainpipe.

There are loads of great trails round the area and more over towards Matlock, Darley Dale and Bakewell.

I've had a lay-off of late so can't make any promises of rides, but maybe in the near future. We have a good Thursday night crew who err on the side of fun with a bit of gnarl – we venture up to the Dark Peak sometimes too and always end up at the pub.

the-muffin-man

Don't believe muffin-man – he rides like a rat up a drainpipe.

LOL! That was two years ago – I'm like Mr Creosote now!

ssboggy

Some of the DVATC lads are meeting at Ambergate Staion on Sunday morning at 9am for a ride, usually back at Ambergate around midday, your welcome to join us

joemarshall
    Free Member

Hey,

I'd be up for some local riding, annoyingly any evening except a Tuesday for me. I'm not really organised enough to do something weekly or anything, but it would be cool to get out and ride.

Yep it's good but way too short, 20min job but you land near The Holly Bush in Milford so you are rewarded.

Not if you go up to Lane End and Longwalls Lane to go into it from the back it isn't. Then it's a nice bit over an hour loop from Belper? Or at least it is if you ride at Joe speed – I am quite slow on the bike.

As you say, Shining Cliff is brilliant for a local ride. I ride there sometimes too. What is crich chase like? any good?

There are some great tracks, although they are probably a bit muddy in parts at the moment, so not as much fun as it was in the summer (same as Shining Cliff really).

Joe

Shining Cliff is a bit sensitive at the moment, so by all means ride there, but pick your times, be considerate and try to avoid large groups.

If ssboggy is the SS guy that I met one ride, then all credit – he pwned us up all the hills.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

We sometimes ride around there, starting just over the bridge near where the track into Shining Cliff comes out. Do a route over the other side of the A6, down to the Cromford Canal, along & up Sheep pasture climb, up round black rocks, then head over to Shining Cliff for a couple of dh runs to finish.
    Drop me an email if you're interested, usually go out on a sunday morning
    saundersdr AT hotmail DOT com

ssboggy

Hi STR, yes you have been out with us when i was on my SS, i am not as fit at the moment though

biking_jk
    Free Member

[/quote]I'd rather chew my arm off than go out with the Matlock crew.

Ha ha…!

Thursday night rides would be good artistformerlyknownas, is there a time and place? Let me know.

I'm planning on getting to Darley Dale for this Tuesday too, so a bit of result. Cheers all.

I did a few hours at Shining Cliff yesterday and I can see why it is sensitive, it is getting ripped to shreds at the moment with the damp ground – also loads of new trails opening up. On my own yesterday, but about 10 people on the main track last Sunday, with the same again parking cars on access road and getting ready.

When you say it is getting a bit sensitive, it sounds like you're a man in the know. Is there anything that can be done – is it the parking, the danger, or the damage which is upsetting people?

Anyway, be good to hook up for some riding, I live up near Thacker woods and have discovered the nuts line down to the canal! The snow was good at opening up some of the more secret stuff.

I am trying to piece together a loop from mine which take in The Chase (which is excellent by the way), Blackrocks and Shining Cliff.

Hopefully see you soon.

Jim

ssboggy

Have you found the track that goes up towards Black Rocks from the A6 at the back of Homesford Cottage yet? That is a regular one we use to link in Black Rocks from Chase and Shining Cliff, often use it both ways, can also be easily got to from the top of the tunnel on the canal

the-muffin-man

Is there anything that can be done – is it the parking, the danger, or the damage which is upsetting people?

Its the damage – the woods are a SSSI* and there's been a big rise in the numbers riding in there in recent years.

10+ years ago it just used to be XCers who used to ride the existing trails, but the big rise in popularity of downhilling/freeride has attracted the shovel brigade and the problems associated with digging new trails and knocking down walls.

I tend to streer clear at weekends as there are too many walkers about, the same goes for Black Rocks.

(Site of Special Scientific Interest)

cuckoo
    Free Member

^^^ what the-muffin-man said. Here is an article from a few years ago. The damage has got a lot worse since this was written.

link

joemarshall
    Free Member

Anyone out riding this Sunday morning, and wouldn't mind one more tagging along, as for once I appear to have some spare time?

Oh yeah, on the subject of Shining Cliff, I don't know about anyone else, but it seems to me that whatever you think about the SSSI damage, you'd be crazy to ride the downhill trails at this time of year anyway, they'll just be a minging horrible mess and you'll mess them up for the summer. In the summer they'll be nice and dry and hard to damage. Although personally my favourite bit of track in there is actually one of the waymarked 'wide paths' that the signs appear to tell cyclists to keep to. The proper downhill trails look way too scary for my limited biking ability, especially when some of the waymarked paths have nice roots and rocks on anyway.

Joe

tonto
    Free Member

I'm resurrecting this thread as I am on the lookout for evening rides.
    Anyone want some extra company?

JohnOne72
    Free Member

DVATC do a Tuesday night ride around this area every week check out http://www.dvatc.co.uk good to see new riders out with us.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Regular rides Ambergate, Crich, Belper Way’ is closed to new replies.