Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Referendum – anyone else who just can't decide?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

If a no vote happens then Salmond can leverage Devomax out of UK govt due to the level of support for Yes

Why? With the threat of independence gone, Uk govt essentially has nothing to lose.
    The referendum was the best threat Salmond had for Devomax. Had he not used it, he’d probably have devomax by now.
    Forgive the pun, it’s a red herring that Salmond wanted devomax all along prob designed to make him look shrewd in cas ehe loses the vote. Salmond wants independence and if he doesn’t get it, he’ll likely become irrelevant.

fasthaggis

I went to see ‘From Scotland With Love’ at the weekend,it broke my heart.
    As I removed my rose tinted specs and wiped away the tears ,I realised how undecided I still am about the vote.
    The reasons that I would vote Yes are as passionate as my reasons for voting No.
    The narrow minded idiots campainging on both sides don’t make it any easier .

scotroutes

In 3 weeks it’ll all be over and we can all go back to whinging over the fact that voter turnouts are low and that not enough people are engaged with politics

seosamh77
    Free Member

it’s a red herring that Salmond wanted devomax

It was utterly brilliant politicking from salmond, get the other side to campaign for what you want. If you have to give salmond credit for anything it’s that imo.

project
    Free Member

the looser side will have the bigest toys out pram moment ever,probably make the riots in england look like a playschool tantrum, as some have a lot to gain and some a lot to loose.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Basically it comes down to a choice – the status quo or Salmond’s vision of how things will be – one that comes with zero Guarantees in place around such fairly critical elements as currency, EU, Finance sector and oil.

I might be tempted to vote yes if I believed Salmond can deliver everything he says he can, but in reality I know he won’t and so for me its a definite no – to much risk involved. Much of it is pie in the sky thinking. The current arrangement isn’t perfect, but it could be much much worse.

Agree about the Yes campaign really getting on my nerves. They’re making out that a no vote is unpatriotic, plus alot of nastiness creeping in.

zippykona

I’ve just renewed with Scottish Power.
    Would my bills change if the Scots have their own currency?

peterfile
    Free Member

the looser side will have the bigest toys out pram moment ever,probably make the riots in england look like a playschool tantrum, as some have a lot to gain and some a lot to loose.

Really? 😆

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I might be tempted to vote yes if I believed Salmond can deliver everything he says he can, but in reality I know he won’t and so for me its a definite no – to much risk involved. Much of it is pie in the sky thinking. The current arrangement isn’t perfect, but it could be much much worse.

Funny thing is though, as pre-election pledges show, westminster never deliver on their promises…

Salmond isn’t acting alone, there is a nation of skills and talent who can affect positive change.

No doubt there were folk saying that the potential risks of the internal combustion engine or electricity were too great to develop; risk is necessary for progress…

Food for thought:

wrecker
    Free Member

get the other side to campaign for what you want.

He didn’t. He’s not that clever.

Northwind

tpbiker – Member

Basically it comes down to a choice – the status quo

Sorry, are you under the impression that anyone’s offering the status quo?

richmtb

For me its just about how we want to be governed.

Scotland will be absolutely fine as an independent state, either that or every other small nation is a miracle.

Ignore the financial soothsayers on the other thread, most of them can’t vote anyway and defining the referendum on such narrow parameters almost misses the point entirely.

If you want things to carry on the way they are then vote “No”

If you want us to govern our own country then vote “Yes”

That’s the decision you have to make, everything else is just window dressing.

Good luck with your choice

bencooper
    Free Member

Basically it comes down to a choice – the status quo or Salmond’s vision of how things will be

Sorry, but wrong on both. The status quo isn’t on offer, if there’s a No vote then there’s a lot more austerity cuts on the way and the Barnett formula is probably being scrapped so even less funding. Whereas a Yes vote isn’t an endorsement of Salmond or the SNP, it’s a vote to give us the chance to pick our own government. An independent Scotland might go and vote for the Tories – unlikely but possible.

legend
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

I’m not sure if you’ve been alive enough time for this, but think back to the eighties when Thatcher used Scotland as a laboratory for the Poll Tax; introducing it a year earlier, just because she could. Or consider what will happen after a No vote when Cameron is back in Downing Street for another five years; imagine what he will do…

An independent Scotland could avoid this.

Never again… Vote Yes.

That might actually be the funniest thing I’ve read so far about the referendum 😀

but, yes, you should definitely base your vote on what a dead woman did 30 years ago.

argyle
    Free Member

there is no status quo.
    it’s not a vote for salmond.
    if devomax was an option it’d be on the paper.

scotroutes

+many.

It’s incredible that we can be this close to polling day and yet so many people still don’t understand what the choices are. Maybe #PatronisingBTlady is more representative than BT got credit for.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    get the other side to campaign for what you want.

He didn’t. He’s not that clever.the ploy still seems to be working… 😆

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The status quo isn’t on offer, if there’s a No vote then there’s a lot more austerity cuts on the way and the Barnett formula is probably being scrapped so even less funding.

good old “project feart” again

nothing that is different is currently on offer at the moment, anyone who says different is making it up. There’s lots of speculation but no offer.

GavinB

For me its just about how we want to be governed.

Well put Rich. That pretty much sums up how I’ve developed my thinking over the last month.

I was ‘No’, but after reading a few books about the subject, pouring over a lot of guff written by the MSM, my views have shifted. There is no story for the MSM to follow the No campaign, as they are not actually offering anything. The Yes campaign therefore get all the attention, as they can be attacked by the No, for suggesting an alternative vision, which in many cases, cannot be proven emphatically. This is simply the reality of a decision such as this – you cannot have all the facts prior to making the decision, but have to make it on a probability.

Once, I’d got my head around that one, I quite quickly changed to Yes.

The Westminster government is more likely to be shifting further and further to the right in the future, and the spending in Scotland has been heavily protected in the last few years, with the full knowledge of the referendum looming.

I’m quite excited by the prospect of Scotland being able to create its own future.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@Shackleton – +1 I too worry about the evangelical nature of the Yes voters in the same way I do for religonists. Their attritional behaviour smacks of someone unwilling to engage and I see this in AD’ exasporation on the TV debates. I too only seem to see defaced “No” banners etc. Can’t say that I personally know anyone in the Yes camp whose intelect and experience I respect.

@Legend +1 – Too many Scots live with a Chip on their shoulder, Thatcher got it wrong, not because she “trialled” it on the Scots, just because she was wrong about the whole thing, it make perfect adminstrative sense to try something out – Oh and lets not forget, she/they lost that one. I will never grasp, why people can’t see that as a triumph of social values and be proud of it. Instead too many run around thinking “when’s it going to happen again?” We are not singled out like some kind ethinc group for experiments.

I don’t like the idea of breaking away but the notion that we can make things better is a powerful one, I do however then worry about why we can’t do this as a Union, the people who live in England, Wales and NI also deserve better, like us.

seosamh77
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member

good old “project feart” again

come on, it was funny the first time..587th, not so.

wrecker
    Free Member

the ploy still seems to be working…

If it makes you feel better 😆

if devomax was an option it’d be on the paper.

Absolutely. You doubt it? Vote no and find out……

hilldodger
    Free Member

Isn’t it Green scarf “Yes” Blue scarf “No”

bencooper
    Free Member

I thought it was something about handkerchiefs in the top pocket?

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    the ploy still seems to be working…

If it makes you feel better If you believe a party that’s campaigned for 80/90 years on a separatist agenda, all of a sudden preferred devo max. Carry on. 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

If you believe a party that’s campaigned for 80/90 years on a separatist agenda, all of a sudden preferred devo max

No, I don’t. I think Salmond wants independence. This talk of him being crafty and secretly wanting devomax is bollocks.

ianmoody
    Free Member

I’m not sure either side. I won’t get a vote anyway, being a Yorkshireman, but I’m wondering if Scotland gets a YES will we see other areas pushing for a referendum? Wales? Cornwall as was mentioned before and maybe even the likes of Yorkshire? I’m sure I read somewhere this was being considered before, was there a referendum for some sort of devolution in Cornwall with a drastically low turnout which caused them to cancel similar ones in Yorkshire? I may have made that up.
    Either way, I’m sure I’m no different to loads of other people outside the south east thinking “shove some funding northwards”. They’re still talking about things like new runways or new airports, and then trying to help cities in the north by helping the people get to London quicker on the train.

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    No, I don’t. I think Salmond wants independence. This talk of him being crafty and secretly wanting devomax is bollocks.

Hence my point.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ianmoody – Member
    I’m sure I read somewhere this was being considered before, was there a referendum for some sort of devolution in Cornwall with a drastically low turnout which caused them to cancel similar ones in Yorkshire? I may have made that up.

You’re probably thinking of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England_devolution_referendums,_2004

wrecker
    Free Member

Hence my point.

And mine……

big_n_daft
    Free Member

come on, it was funny the first time..587th, not so.

Yes supporters need to stop making up stuff about how they are going to be punished for the referendum or about changes block grants etc etc

I use it sparingly, just like a Scot would 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Hence my point.

And mine……I should have maybe read your first post a bit more closely! 😳 Although I do think it was very shrewd on Salmonds part.

moonsaballoon

The way I see it it is impossible to be sure either way as a lot of the key points can only be known after the referendum and after a long negotiation process . The yes campaign are basically asking you to take a punt . But I can see why people think it is a punt worth taking as there a lot of things wrong in the UK and a chance to say thanks very much but we’re going to try things a bit differently is something I can understand . But there is this nagging doubt at the back of my mind saying it’s a stupid idea

project
    Free Member

I’ve just renewed with Scottish Power.
    Would my bills change if the Scots have their own currency?

scotish power is the trade name of the foreign company that takes all the profits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Power

ninfan
    Free Member

Food for thought: “10 million could buy”

Yes, but when the sums were done it came in costing just £1.2 million

So the alternative strapline for the poster would have to be

completed at a tenth of the cost Labour quoted!
    Public projects delivered on-time and under budget: Welcome to Tory Britain

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t Westminster cut the Scottish block grant after a No vote?

mudshark
    Free Member

Food for thought: “10 million could buy”

No it couldn’t, wouldn’t even pay there salary and other employment costs for a year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member
    Why wouldn’t Westminster cut the Scottish block grant after a No vote?

Why would they? If your predicting the future give us some reasons. Unless you have crystal balls you don’t know what will happen. Telling people that it will be really bad if they vote no and you will all get spanked isn’t really a decent argument.
    The only decent reason I have heard from an ex pat Scotsman was he didn’t think it would be better but it at least they could **** it up themselves. Not exactly compelling reasoning.

GavinB

My suspicion is that the block grant has been afforded protected status in the run up to the referendum, to keep public dissatisfaction in Scotland with Westminster to a minimum. Certainly, when compared to the NW of England, where we used to live, the councils there have had their funding slashed in the last few years, since the Tory/Lib govt came in, mostly because of area based grants being removed completely. Recruitment freezes and encouraged early retirement are the norm in councils across the north of England now, whereas in Scotland they are still recruiting as normal, with most teams around the area my Mrs has moved to fully staffed (and unknown phenomenon where she used to work).

So, why has the Barnett formula remained unchanged at the same time grants to elsewhere have been cut? Will it remain unchanged in the near future? I doubt it, but of course you will never get a straight answer about this issue.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Referendum – anyone else who just can't decide?’ is closed to new replies.