Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Redundant – not feeling as unbothered as I thought
  • aracer
    Free Member

Due to be made redundant next week (have a meeting on Wednesday which I think has only one outcome). Thought I was pretty blase about the whole thing – in some senses I’m actually quite happy to go as I get a decent payoff and can afford not to find another job for a long time. It would mean I had lots of time over the summer to train in a way I haven’t done since kids and get other stuff done. Not only that, but there’s plenty of jobs around for my skills – will be applying for one straight away (though wanting part time and flexibility for childcare makes things tougher).

So why am I feeling so down about the whole thing? I have other issues in my life which don’t help, and have been ill this week, but ended up retiring from an event today due partly to how I’m feeling (I’d already screwed up big time, but that was probably also down to my mental state).

Northwind

Don’t know your situation really but getting laid off was one of my highlights of last year. I really wish it had happened sooner.

totalshell

walk out the door with a smile and a spring in your step.. DONT spend the summer doing nowt get another job now.. sure they may be lots of ads for work you do but getting one could be a lot harder than you think..

I took it and set up on my own working on the tools that I’d spent hellish years managing – never looked back. No stress, fantastic money and total respect from customers/clients for doing what is essentially a very easy job if you are some way towards being competant.

Some people seem to struggle with it, but they also seem to struggle with life, so meh!

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

I really feel for you, I went through a similar thing… worked my ass off as part of a management team to save the Co… in the end to no avail. the owners had no choice but to put the Co into administation.
    We all lost our jobs.

Thought I could do with the break to honest, but when it hit home, I had a bit of a confidence crisis.

Keep in mind, It is not your fault, and it will get better… I am now in a job I love, with 10x better conditions and even a pay rise…
    “This too will pass”
    Best of luck.

tron
    Free Member

Try not to let it get you down and try to get into banging out CVs as quick as you can.

When I was made redundant, I was quite relieved – the job had long and very irregular hours. After a while, I wasn’t so relieved…

In my experience, the job centre was the worst part of the whole thing, and if you do anything to avoid signing on, do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s easy to see as a rejection I guess, and an end to something you liked?

I’d love to get binned with a payout, in fact I am working on it!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I guess it’s hard not to take it as a personal slight, it’s human nature. I’ve seen a lot of this recently where I work as well as with friends where the wife works. The one thing I noticed though, was that every last one of them seems to be better off now both in terms of cash and job satisfaction.

I think it’s the fact that the control is taken away from you that seems daunting. However, that seems to be a double edged sword as it gives you the motivation to make things better. More so than just resigning from a job.

Best of luck with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a complex sea you’ll navigate in good time I suspect.

I got made redundant in 2001 from an awful but well paid job – I was only young though and had no dependents/mortgage etc, but I still had bills and was quite worried. I went in to work in the morning, came home at about 11am and decided to walk over to a mate’s house. It was a sunny autumn afternoon and after about 5 mins of strolling along I was suddenly overwhelmed with euphoria because I didn’t have to go back there again!

Things got a little more rocky 6 months down the line, but there you go. It all worked out ok in the end 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

It’s a bit downheartening to be told you’re not needed even if you know it’s not your fault and there are plenty of other opportunities around. I was told I’d be made redundant back in Jan but a day before it was going to happen I was kept on so nothing is definite.

brooess
    Free Member

I left my job a few months ago – no payout. It was a horrible job and loads of people were stressed and were hacked off with the utter chaos and tribal politics.
    Wrongly, I blamed myself for quite a few weeks but talking openly with friends and family, keeping an eye on my mental health and taking the opportunity to do all the exercise I wanted (making sure I was getting a regular input of dopamine and feelings of achievement) have kept my spirits up.
    If you liked your job then apply for similar stuff again. If you didn’t and fancy a change, worth taking this op to re-direct your career into something more satisfying. ‘How To Get A Job You’ll Love’ by John Lees is a good book which is a lot cheaper than professional career coaching.
    Personally I found spending time searching for jobs a very useful way to use all my spare time – kept me thinking about the future. And there’s enough people been made redundant over the last few years that I don’t think it counts against you.
    And just think how much ££ you can spend on a new bike if you get a new job next month and don’t need all that redundancy cash to live on!
    Good luck

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Redundant – not feeling as unbothered as I thought’ is closed to new replies.