Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Redundancy…………….any employment law experts out there?
  • priceyboy
    Free Member

So the company has put me at risk of redundancy and now offered me a new job, slightly different to my old job.
    This new job is on the same money, less holidays and a capped bonus scheme (my original bonus was uncapped)
    The company does not want to offer redundancy but will give it if I decide that during my trial period of the new postion I agree with my line manager that the job does not suit.

The new manager has not been appointed yet, and I still have no start date for the new postion, so do not know when the trial period will start/end.

I have started looking for a new job but would like to take the redundancy option.

Do you think the company are being unreasonable?

Any experience and/or comments would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

jota180
    Free Member

The company does not want to offer redundancy but will give it if I decide that during my trial period of the new postion I agree with my line manager that the job does not suit.

fairly sure you shouldn’t need to be in agreement with anyone else for this to apply

TBH – it sounds like they’re just trying to force though a contract change

wrecker
    Free Member

TBH – it sounds like they’re just trying to force though a contract change

Yep. Whatever happens; DO NOT SIGN A NEW CONTRACT.

Sandwich

Also do not work too long on the presumed new terms without registering your objection in writing. You have a very small window to do this before you are deemed to have accepted the new terms by default.

joao3v16
    Free Member

On one hand it sounds reasonable. Your employer is going down the redeployment route rather than mandatory redundancy.

Your situation sounds very similar to what my employer did several years ago.

A lot of roles were being offshored to India. Affected staff were offered redeployment, which would be followed by redundancy if a suitable role could not be found in the organisation.

If a role was found that the company believed you were capable of doing (i.e you had the skills), you were expected to accept it. There was a 3 month trial period for the above scenario, with some retraining factored in also.

If you declined the offer of a suitable role you were considered to be resigning and were not entitled to any redundancy package.

If, after the trial period, the company & yourself agreed that the role was unsuitable they’d look into further redeployment opportunities, or failing that offer a redundancy package.

On the other hand, your employer could be using it as a mechanism to change your contract – hence the reduced holidays and capped bonus …

priceyboy
    Free Member

<Sandwich>

“Also do not work too long on the presumed new terms without registering your objection in writing. You have a very small window to do this before you are deemed to have accepted the new terms by default”

Do you have any further info on this??

jota180
    Free Member

This new job is on the same money, less holidays and a capped bonus scheme (my original bonus was uncapped)

I’ve been in a similar position a few times over the years, every time the alternative role has carried the same Ts&Cs [salary aside]
    Maybe that was my company just giving a better deal than they had to? I dunno
    For me, it never got to the point where I had to make a decision as they ended up with enough volunteers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Redundancy…………….any employment law experts out there?’ is closed to new replies.