• This topic has 51 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Redundancy – anyone made any drastic life changes afterwards?
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

Made redundant beginning of July, I was actually put into a pool to reapply for a different role, rather than go through that and end up in a job I didn’t want I offered to make things easy and leave.

Just finished a run of working on festival builds, only a stop gap… but I absolutely love it, and it’s opened up other opportunities

Always wished I had an actual trade (rather than fluffy bullshit skills you put on a cv), so about to start training to be an electrician, can’t wait to get started (and already the festival work has lined up potential work).

Edit, really encouraging to read the posts on here, approach it the right way, there will always be tough moments but stay positive, stick with it and things will happen

orangeorange
    Free Member

+1 for another redundancy after 18 years at the same company,due to consolidation of company premises.
    Thankfully it was all amicable and the pay-out pretty decent,took a few months off and really enjoyed myself and then walked straight into a full-time job that was better-paid than my previous one,despite being totally unrelated to my experience !
    Not intending to sound conceited,but it just shows that there is life after redundancy,as long as you view it as an opportunity rather than an affliction.

project
    Free Member

Think of redundancy as a door closing and a whole new corridor of doors opening to a new life and work ethic.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m struggling to think of anyone I know of who have been made redundant over the past 10 years or so (and there have been alot of them) and they all have landed on their feet and a few have moved on to other things. Granted those who have gone and done something completely different were the older people who had already cleared their mortgages and were really just biding time until retiring – or within 10 years of retirement, so have really treated it as early retirement.

Makes me hopeful as it is looking increasingly likely that eventually i’ll be made redundant. I’ve escaped several redundancy rounds so far over 20 years, but with the rounds of redundancy coming through almost annually and the ominous change that it is not the person who is made redundant, but the position (so no assessment based programme), so if you’re unlucky enough to be sat in that particular hot seat in the next round then you’re the pig in the poke. A bit like a game of high stakes musical chairs. I hope if/when the bullet comes for me then redundancy will be an opportunity for me to do something completely different, and if I can get the mortgage paid off between now and then, then financially at least i’ll be better placed to take a risk or two.

crankboy
    Free Member

I have jumped ship twice and been made redundant once but was lucky enough to have a broadly similar package lined up with my new firm so the maximum statutory redundancy ie a few weeks wage was not an issue so I blew it all on a bike for crankygirl.
    More stressfully we went through an acrimonious redundancy round a couple of Xmas ago. Those who were selected have all done OK for themselves since . The process cost me the remains of a friendship with one collegue and a bolloking from the wife for keeping the threat to my self in a misguided attempt not to ruin Xmas.

luke
    Free Member

Been made redundant twice, first time finished on the Friday started a new job on the Sunday spent the money on the family and clearing debts.
    The second time was a bit of a shock, my previous employer was renting the building and facilities to my employer at the time, a move would save circa £100k a year which was massive for the company so they relocated to the West Midlands, and made most of us redundant.
    Took me a couple of years to find a full time job due to no real career but having jobs since school instead and no degree or training to fall back on. Had a few temporary contracts and a zero hours job during that time which brought some money in but not loads.

Then a couple of months ago had our hours cut at work, which has got me all on edge, so I’m looking at the moment, but a ppi claim has just turned up trumps so looking to start a small business up, in a field I do the odd part time work in, it’s fairly seasonal so I will still need a normal job but should make life easier.

edhornby

I’ve just been through redundancy, I was in the ‘two small kids and a massive f-off mortgage’ situation so a quick switch of jobs from one office to another was by best option, thankfully managed to score a job straight away and can continue doing the school run and get to work without impacting work life balance. Main thing is to not wait and get cracking with cv LinkedIn and ask everyone about jobs, including on here ! Don’t be shy , talk to any and every personal contact . Good luck. Happy to share any assistance OP

caspian
    Free Member

I’ve three small kids, a wife with no degree/skills/job, no redundancy pay and a £352,000 mortgage @ £1,400/month.

If I begin to talk about encrypted bitcoin accounts, kidnapping rich peoples’ dogs, etc. Please ignore as it’s the gin talking.

As said above, these situations have a way of sorting themselves out.

But any more talk of “yah I totally cleared the mortgage” then keep Fido inside!

trail_rat
    Free Member

urgh , can i ask what you did in O&G ?

caspian
    Free Member

encrypted bitcoin accounts, kidnapping rich peoples’ dogs

Jeez, sorry about that. Must be time to sober up.

what you did in O&G ?

I do all the boring shite that no-one else wants to do, namely:

Supply chain, logistics, inventory management, warehouse, procurement, international freight forwarding, expediting, customs clearance, contract drafting, contract execution & management.

My fluency in Russian and in-depth knowledge of the Kazakh commodity exchange should come in handy behind the counter in Millets

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye well given some of the rates I’m seeing for going out to that neck of the woods for my side of industry (CPS operations) – even if there was work in that area its unlikely you’d want it.

i jumped to Africa for that reason but even thats drying up now “staff training time” atm.

kcal

mate from school days is on rotation in one of the ‘stans (as far as I know) – has been for years. Russian is very good – not sure what other talents he has!!

QA testing & dev. for performance improvement and loss monitoring..

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Redundancy – anyone made any drastic life changes afterwards?’ is closed to new replies.