Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Redundancies starting again for major companies and their staff
  • project
    Free Member

So in the last few weeks we have had Tesco announce 1200 redundancies,
    DWP 800 jobs,
    Monarch airlines 1858, due to bankruptcy,
    Virgin Telecoms, 100,
    BAE 2000 jobs,
    ASDA, WILKO are also soon to announce job loses
    Witter towbars 100

and probably a lot more mot been put in the media.

Any one else facing redundancy, its affected a few of my customers.

binners

I’m working in Preston at the moment. 1400 of those 2000 BAE redundancies are going to be made here. That’s going to have an absolutely enormous effect on the local economy, as those are highly skilled, high paid jobs.

An interesting thing about that happening last time at BAE was that Burnley went on a bit of a mission to try and get Aerospace and motorsport companies to relocate to the area to try and retain the local engineering skill base. It was very successful too, with the local council and businesses launching the bondholder scheme to encourage investment

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens now as the North West can ill afford to lose those type of jobs

footflaps

as those are highly skilled, high paid jobs.

I believe the plan is they will have a wonderful future doing seasonal fruit picking in our glorious post Brexit future, so everything will be OK.

I find the negativity associated with mass unemployment very unpatriotic, we should all be glad they are now free to do the jobs only foreigners were prepared to do.

northerntom
    Free Member

A lot in my business are (large facilities management). As much as a lot (51%) will disagree, it’s directly related to drop in value of currency for us, which came about from brexit.

One way or another, and whether it’s better in the long term is a different matter. But short term, Brexit has cost a lot of people jobs. Cost to service customer is now 10-15% higher for us, which means people have to go.

Apologies to bring up so early on a thread, but it’s inevitable….

nickhit3
    Free Member

I’m up the road in Lancaster, Binners but did live and work in Preston a couple of years ago. Wife still works there. You are so right, my heart goes out to those affected and the knock on effects for the region here. This will have a significant impact to the economy as you say. A black day for the NW.

trail_rat
    Free Member

our industry never stopped….. While reducing our terms/wages/time off / safety + increasing our workload.

“lucky to have a job they keep saying” –

– its getting closer and closer to making financial sense to work for bike mechanics wages rather than be in africa.

no doubt there are 10 others who want my job here mind because oil patch.

scotroutes

I don’t think redundancies have started again – it’s been a fairly constant process. Certain companies and industries just seem to be more newsworthy than others.

binners

A black day for the NW.

Don’t you mean the ‘Northern Powerhouse’? That phrase looks more and more farcical by the day, doesn’t it?

Certain companies and industries just seem to be more newsworthy than others.

2000 jobs putting the lids on tomato ketchup bottles is one thing, 2000 highly skilled engineering jobs in an industry where we have pretensions to be world leaders in cutting-edge technology, says a lot about where we presently are as a country. News-wise its that kind of headline job loss that mean a big knock on in the supply chain, and local businesses that depend on them for survival

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nah, these things are happening pretty constantly. I used to work for British Aerospace before it was BAe systems and redundancies was a constant threat as it is an any project based business – things are thriving when live projects are doing and selling well but as soon as the sales rates drop off then redundancies are not too far off the horizon. Not nice for those affected I’m sure but I’m also sure that every single last one of them will walk into another job. The company I work for currently has had rounds of redundancies pretty constantly every couple of years or so for the last 20 years and everyone either walks straight into another job, some decide to go contracting/consulting, some decide on complete career changes and some take early retirement. It seems to be an opportunity for most who go onto bigger and better things.

andytherocketeer

Used to work at GEC/Marconi, one of the bits that eventually ended up under the BAe Systems brand. Seemed to be a permanent state of redundancies here and there, sometime a few in one department that’s being obsoleted, other times a corporate wide trimming.
    I quit, and half the team called me bonkers for not holding out 6 more months until our site was the inevitable next on the list. Sorry, but 6 months at a new company with 40% salary increase trumps 6 months at old salary plus the statutory redundancy pay that they would pay. Me not being in a panic along with the entire site all job hunting at once was a bonus.

PS that was the Southern Powerhouse. The MD quit 3 months after me. The site shut 3 months after that.

Would have thought Wilko’s would be in prime position to mop up quite a bit of custom in the short/medium term.

mick_r

I’m working in Preston at the moment. 1400 of those 2000 BAE redundancies are going to be made here.

Is that right? According to BBC it is 750 across Warton and Samlesbury.

Not good but this does seem to happen on a fairly cyclic nature with BAe up / down every 5 years or so.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s interesting how some industries are deemed more newsworthy.

I got made redundant along with about 2500 others (and a similar number who worked for BG too in similar jobs locally when Shell bought them). Not even a note in the local press, a few Steel jobs go in the North East or S.Wales and it’s news for weeks.

sbob
    Free Member

northerntom – Member

One way or another, and whether it’s better in the long term is a different matter. But short term, Brexit has cost a lot of people jobs.

As shown by our unemployment rate which is the lowest since 1975?
    Thou chattest dung! ❗

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

2000 highly skilled engineering jobs in an industry where we have pretensions to be world leaders in cutting-edge technology

If that’s aerospace you’re talking about, you could drop the rhetoric as it doesn’t fit. “We’ve” got the fourth largest aerospace industry. Hardly pretensions to be world leaders, we are world leaders.

highlandman
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon is right; some sectors are newsworthy.
    The press are preparing for a taxpayer support package to protect our essential warmongering industry, subsidise the trade and help the Saudis buy more weapons from us. Which they will use to kill people and shore up their own regime.
    Everyone grumbles that the big corporates and wealthy individuals dodge their taxes but you rarely hear a word of support for HMRC losing 10,000 jobs and closing 90% of their offices over the next couple of years. Following the 40,000 jobs that have gone over the last ten years. But hey, we don’t really need anyone collecting taxes to pay for essential public services, most businesses will choose to pay voluntarily anyway as everyone knows how much we need better health and social care.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Buuuuutttt..

We have £350m a day to support the NHS.

Fair doos, ask BloJo for a fiver, Farrage for a Tenner (if you can catch him before his German Residency application is sealed) and Gove for £50.. So what happens then.

I’m still utterly fuming the Steel Works in Redcar got closed down and “Callmeareshole” never did a single thing about that..

As for the trend, obvz is obvz its going down .. but really all those jobs were surplus to requirements now manufacturing can be done cheaper in China/Eastern Europe.. Don’t know why you are getting so upset..

Oh, wait.. I DO!!!!!!!!!!

Brexit arsfaces.

edlong
    Free Member

ASDA, WILKO are also soon to announce job loses

ASDA already cleared out around 300 from Head office a month or two ago – no long-winded consultation, the lucky chosen ones were invited to clear their desks immediately.

We have £350m a day to support the NHS

Outrageous exaggeration – £350M a week, isn’t it?

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t you mean the ‘Northern Powerhouse’?

Northern Workhouse more like.

FuzzyWuzzy

We recently lost 2000 globally (I think 3-400 in the UK), I was on the long list but survived. One of the reasons given in the UK was Brexit, not overly convinced myself though.

Although new business has slowed I think it’s more the nature of the business (a lot of our revenue comes from IT outsourcing but these days we’re often just assisting companies on-board to Azure or AWS rather than the more lucrative lift and shift followed by a tech refresh & on-going support model).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Ministry of Brexit would like to remind everyone that it is important to be planning and awaiting the new future.

Brexit Bulldog Out

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thou chattest dung!

The reality is more like this…

http://uk.businessinsider.com/unemployment-in-the-uk-is-now-so-low-its-in-danger-of-exposing-the-lie-used-to-create-the-numbers-2017-7

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That and the spending power and taxation (and associated debts) with high paying high skilled jobs are hard to replace (and repay) it’s a big deal

northerntom
    Free Member

Thou chattest dung!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/unemployment-in-the-uk-is-now-so-low-its-in-danger-of-exposing-the-lie-used-to-create-the-numbers-2017-7

Thanks Darren, saved me a job.

Go and chat to the 100’s in my organisation who have been made redundant due to increased costs, directly related to poorer UK sterling against euro and dollar. They were high earners, hard workers, and considerable contributors to the tax man. 0 hour contractors do not offer the same.

Looks like the dung is actually located in your mouth

jolmes
    Free Member

Nestle making over 50 staff in York redundant and moving a load of roles to Lisbon too. They say its for efficiency but we all know its a money thing. Changing the existing roles into 1 super role – think 1 busy person doing 5 busy peoples jobs in the same day and time. They have massively underestimated how busy the staff are and how much they do, especially when systems go down. The process will defo crumble.

sbob
    Free Member

Have you read the article?
    I’ll stand by my earlier post.

13thfloormonk

Have you read the article?
    I’ll stand by my earlier post.

I did, I’m not sure how it backs up what you said?

In reality, about 21.5% of British workers are either officially unemployed, inactive, or employed part time even though they really want full-time work.

That 21.5% apparently goes down to 14% if you exclude students and parents with newborns. Goes down to 10% if you exclude those in part-time roles who would rather be in full-time roles, although that seems a little generous as it plays into the precarious/zero hour contract scenario.

Lowest unemployment rate = redefining ‘unemployment’ until it goes away 🙄

sbob
    Free Member

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/unemployment

Official statistics trump your anecdotes, I’m afraid.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stop selling weapons! Weapons are bad, mmmmkay?

BAE 2000 jobs

Oh. Erm…..

edlong
    Free Member

Government statistics are definitely reliable and the parameters wouldn’t be manipulated to arrive at the answer you’re looking for. Especially not employment statistics. No, definitely not.

sbob
    Free Member

Lowest unemployment rate = redefining ‘unemployment’

Yet your evidence states:

For decades, economists have agreed on an artificial definition of what unemployment means.

So irrespective of the actual figure for unemployment that you want to use, using your undisclosed metrics, if the definition of unemployment has remained the same for the official stats then they are comparable year on year and my point stands.

New ‘spoons just opened in my town. Aldi and Morrisons opening soon for the anecdote fans. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

government statistics including zero hours contracts ….. yep – im out on that one.

sbob
    Free Member

Have another anecdote:
    I’m in full time employment.
    I’m on a zero hours contract.
    🙂

dazh

Got mixed feelings on BAE. Obviously sad and concerned at so many skilled jobs being lost but really can’t mourn the fact that it’s because no one wants to buy typhoon fighters.

On the redundancy thing I’ve seen this coming for a while. Since the brexit vote in fact. Talking with many people here (engineering consultancy where we have had no redundancies so far) we all agree that there is a similar atmosphere and sense of foreboding as there was in 2007-8, before we lost 40% of our UK staff in 2009. Who knows if it will be as bad this time but it’s coming. Hopefully the top brass will be more prepared this time as last time it was carnage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

New ‘spoons just opened in my town. Aldi and Morrisons opening soon for the anecdote fans.

A symptom of a booming local economy with inwards investment.

Or a symptom that people have less and less money (because they’re underemployed).

13thfloormonk

See last chart in the article, produced by the ONS, which shows actual ‘economic inactivity rates’ at over 20%, which ties with the other statements in the article.

Also, perhaps look up the definition of ‘anecdote’ 8)

if the definition of unemployment has remained the same for the official stats then they are comparable year on year and my point stands

Hmm, can’t argue with that though, interesting point.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Have another anecdote:
    I’m in full time employment.
    I’m on a zero hours contract.

thats not an anecdote thats an incomplete fact.

project
    Free Member

Seems as if Argos, royal mail and a few multiple retailers are recruiting staff for christmas, shame highly skilled trades have no experience of doing any of those lower paid but valuable jobs.Then come new year no job at all.

bearnecessities

I hope that I’m not the only one that realises that the ‘redundancy’ figures being used at the top of this thread are bobbins.

Debate other stuff all you like, but the original post is wildly inaccurate (not apportioning any blame), if trying to portray a ‘swathing redundancies’ headline.

That’s what the public are fed to read or watch over their brekkie, but the facts are slightly less sensational.

project
    Free Member

What are the facts then, people loosing their job and income,possibly their home and relationships is quite serrious in most peoples book of facts of life.

dazh

What are the facts then, people loosing their job and income,possibly their home and relationships is quite serrious in most peoples book of facts of life.

I think it’s more that firms use rounds of ‘redundancies’ like these to clear out older staff and underperformers. The older staff usually welcome it, the prospect of a juicy redundancy payment in advance of an early retirement is what keeps a lot of people approaching 50 in their jobs. I certainly hope this is how my career will end 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Redundancies starting again for major companies and their staff’ is closed to new replies.