Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Redundancies
  • dadandlad
    Free Member

I work for a smallish enineering firm that employs approx 46 people we have been told as from monday there will be redundancies made.
    My son and i both work there me for 9years my son for 5years including his apprenticeship.
    We both bend over backwards to help wherever possible,he is a fitter and im the fitting shop foreman.
    Unfortunatly the way the firm is run i think they will go for the cheapest option and make those who have been there the shortest aount of time and not the sensible option and get rid of the people who are lazy and unable to do the job.
    i have decided rightly or wrongly if they make him redundant and keep the tossers i will look for another job and leave as soon as possible as i think a firm that takes this attitude is not going to be going anywhere fast.
    We both really enjoy our jobs and have travelled far and wide working on some very prestigous projects but also put ourselves out for them at the same time.
    I would like to hear your opinions on what action you would take please

jonb
    Free Member

Wait and see, If he is made redundant and you want to leave then maybe try and get voluntary redundancy. I'd try and line a new job before you do anything rash.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Since you are the fitting shop foreman could you not recommend to the management who the "Lazy" ones are and therefore help the management in making their decision?

Don't know what your management are like but some i know quite like it when others make their decisions for them, gives them less to do 😉

dadandlad
    Free Member

I wasn't about to do anything ash and would have to have another job lined up before leaving.
    Unfortunatly the management already know who the lazy ones are, trouble is some have them have been there a long time and the subject is ignored for a easy life.
    We have had two instances of fighting on the shop floor to my knowledge yet the chaps are still with us,just a slap on the wrist and told not to let it happen again.
    Material scrapped or damaged on a regular basis due to lack of care, no action taken because the management have come to expect this from certain individuals.
    Just yesterday we had a £1200 piston rod badly scored which now needs re-chroming yet no action taken.
    Once again believe it or not i really do enjoy working there.
    Will they get rid of the dead wood? we will have to wait and see

Blurboy
    Free Member

Sounds as if the company should look at more obvious cost saving efficiencies before they look to let people go. Very short sighted and naive. Good luck.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Sounds like this may work in your favour. They may keep your son in order to keep you happy. Knowing that making a good worker (Your son) redundant AND upsetting his hard working foreman dad may mean they dont want the hastle.

I would sit tight and see.

RichPenny
    Free Member

They won't necessarily let those with the shortest term go. In fact my experience has been the opposite. If your son is a newly qualified apprentice then his pay would be low in comparison to others. I hope you're both ok on Monday.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Redundancies’ is closed to new replies.