Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Reducing the dreaded notice period
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

tell them you’re off to a competitor. You’ll probably be led out of the door.

This is the only thing that definitely works- in my industry at least

Cougar

I don’t agree. You want 3 months notice for yourself but not prepared to reciprocate with the same contract terms for your employer, then you want to have your cake and eat it.

You’re assuming that an employer and an employee are on equal standing. Fact is that, broadly, it’s a buyer’s market. Generally speaking, for a regular job position, it’s harder to find a job than it is to find a replacement employee.

Sure, if you’re a CEO or something then it’s a different situation, but on the whole supply outstrips demand. Who would be hardest hit, a company losing an employee or an employee losing their job?

northerntom
    Free Member

agreed on the whole 3 months employer vs employee thing. If I was being made redundant and they only gave me a month, I would be having the opposite thoughts, but that’s not the situation I’m in….

I will go for the pleasant but firm, here is my letter of resignation, I would appreciate it if my notice period could be reduced to four weeks. Please let me know if not acceptable.

Then will see how it goes – will obvs report back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This is the only thing that definitely works- in my industry at least

Almost the opposite here, I know one guy who was made to work his notice where it appeared the only reason (he had no work to do) was in the hope that the new job would disappear. It was a big promotion, which although not entirely undeserved, I think management thought the other company would somehow realize the error of their ways and remove the offer.

The only one I know of, was management and he sent out a fairly scathing “I’m leaving like a rat off a sinking ship” type e-mail blaming the very senior management for the company’s position. Then put his feet up and waited for security.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Reducing the dreaded notice period’ is closed to new replies.