Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Reduced travel on RST Gila Plus T7 (2007) forks – self or shop service?
  • Eldrik
    Free Member

A friend’s 2007 Hardrock Sport came supplied with RST Gila Plus T7 100mm coil forks, which were fine as far as budget forks go for a while, but have now only got around 20mm of travel. The only fork adjustability available externally is preload, and altering this doesn’t seem to have helped produce more travel. Putting all the rider’s weight on the fork doesn’t help this either.

Given that I’m a useless mechanic, and can’t find a service manual for that particular fork but only others in the range for 2007, is it a good idea to attempt to service them ourselves?

If not, have any STWers got recommendations for suspension fork service in (ideally north) London? It seems overkill to send them to TF Tuned or Mojo….

james
    Free Member

TF tuned or mojo would cost more than the cost of the fork!

It could be (although may not be) that they’re part coil, part elastomer spring. Given the cold at the moment the elastometer will have hardened up. My ’05 Marzocchi MZs were like this. Peeling the seal back with a screwdriver (unannodized stantions) with a flat screwdriver (I didn’t care for them by this stage) and pouring/forcing any oil inside would improve things a fair bit for a while.

Sorry, I don’t really have a solution

Eldrik
    Free Member

The travel has been poor since after Sleepless In The Saddle in August, if not before then, so I’m not sure it’s the cold affecting any elastomer.

I’m just hoping (for the sake of his finances) that it can be fixed and that he doesn’t need to buy a new fork. Although, some of the budget V-brake compatible Rockshox look good…

Eldrik
    Free Member

*does some more research*

It turns out that the Gila Plus T7 is not just coil but coil/MCU, i.e. has an elastomer, it appears.

Any ideas what my friend/we can do to fix the lack of travel issue ourselves?

Alternatively, any recommendations for fork servicing in London?

Thanks…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Reduced travel on RST Gila Plus T7 (2007) forks – self or shop service?’ is closed to new replies.