Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Red squirrel in the garden
  • enmac
    Free Member

Just had a red squirrel in the garden yesterday. It’s the second one in the last few weeks. We live on the outskirts of Aberdeen and until they started trapping the greys a few years ago that is all we ever saw. Nice to see the reds are finally taking over the habitat.

Drac

Excellent. They were very around here but in event years greys have appeared and taken over, they’re trying to trap yeah greys which means the odd red is coming back. Not as common as they were though.

alanl
    Free Member

Shouldnt they be hibernating?

enmac
    Free Member

Don’t squirrels bury acorns and stuff for the winter? I don’t think they properly hibernate.

Speshpaul

Superb.
    I was sat in the van up the lakes taking a breather from work one last summer, and a red came hopping down the dry stone wall. made my day.

bruneep

seen a few reds around the river Don (BOD) area . We’ve not had a winter as such so they’re still fairly active

Drac

Shouldnt they be hibernating?

No, they don’t hibernate.

CountZero

There are attempts being made to re-introduce pine martens in forest areas in England and Wales, it seems that they will happily go after greys, which haven’t co-existed with them like reds have, and the greys will leave, allowing reds to re-occupy the forests and woods.

Drac

Carry leprosy – watch out!

He’s a long way from Dorset.

CraigW
    Free Member

Worth reporting it here. https://scottishsquirrels.org.uk/

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Pine martens are awesums never seen one in the wild though. Would of thought they would eat reds and greys. Can’t imagine they would be overly fussy with their prey, they will pretty much go for the throat of any small mammal.

So the theory is greys spend more time on the ground than reds therefore are preyed upon by pine martens more often than reds. Well every day is a school day and all that, never knew that till now.

funkmasterp

Reintroduction of the Pine Marten sounds like a great idea and I hope it works. The wife and I went searching for Red Squirrels when we visited the Cairngorms. Spent hours hiking around and didn’t see one. Got back to the car park and there was one sat on the fence. Beautiful animals.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Clearly we English are not sending enough of our immigrant squirrels up your way.

zippykona

When I was a kid a grey squirrel was completely grey. Now they are going two tone.

Drac

The holiday cottage we visit on the West Coast of Scotland had a pine Marten near by, there were no squirrels and only a few song birds. This year we seen evidence of red squirrels and more song birds, the pine Marten had died so other creatures moved back.

scotroutes

I live in what is, basically, Red Squirrel metropolis. It’s still great to see them though.

Pine Marten? Pretty difficult to find in the wild – unless you know where to look 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6HRrze]Evening visitor[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

When I was a kid a grey squirrel was completely grey. Now they are going two tone.

It’s either a mod revival or due to malnutrition.

http://www.rcsanimalcare.com/Detail_Two_Toned.htm

Drac

Found one.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fwNdth]Pine Martin[/url] by Lee Collis, on Flickr

iolo
    Free Member

Pine Martens are a pain in the arse. They love to chew on rubber hoses in cars. £1200 bloody quid it cost to get my car fixed as one decided to use my cars hoses as lunch.

cyclingmev
    Free Member

Never seen a pine martin in the wild,but do get a few red squirrels visiting our garden + surrounds. There was hell on one morning when one squirrel decided to wind up the chickens, what a blo*dy racket they made!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I was chased by a Pine Marten at Relentless in Fort William one year. Well, not chased as such, but as I was riding along a fireroad in the dark with no one else around it ran alongside on the verge for about 10 metres before getting the hell out of there.

I love them, they’re clearly mad animals but very entertaining.

We stay at a lodge near Ballater and get red squirrels on the balcony. I can’t think of a trip north of Perth that I’ve been on for the last five years where I’ve not seen a red at least once.

cupra
    Free Member

Pine martens are awesums never seen one in the wild though. Would of thought they would eat reds and greys. Can’t imagine they would be overly fussy with their prey, they will pretty much go for the throat of any small mammal.

True but the PM can follow Greys on to the same sort of branches due to similar weights but they can’t follow the reds so easily as they are much much lighter thus harder to catch.

Drapoon
    Free Member

In terms or squirrel top trumps how many points do I get for an albino? 🙂

Spotted scurrying across the top of a fence in my friends back garden on New Years Day.

myopic
    Free Member

We used to see an albino grey squirrel in Colinton area of Edinburgh one summer going back 5 years or so. Haven’t seen it since then.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Got this one in North Yorkshire, near Hawes. (Snaizeholme)

Must’ve seen about 10 others as well.

I’m lucky to have seen 2 Pine Martens in the wild but only got a shot of 1, just along the road from Lochaline & the other by the shore of Loch Shiel.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Red squirrel in the garden’ is closed to new replies.