Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recycling symbols on plastic bottles…. Dont use Number 1 :-(
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Just found today that using plastic bottles with "1" symbol gives you cancer [possibly carcinogenic ].

Just dumped my entire collection of plastic drinks bottles that cola came in because I thought I was doing a good thing re-using them.

Also, all those bottles they chuck away on the tour are they "1"s ?

If not I want one 😉

Not a complete loss made a chess set from the lids 🙂

http://www.zooomr.com/photos/15397@Z01/9305396/

trail_rat
    Free Member

im sure there is a daily mail story countering that claim though …..

saw a list once of daily mail storys claiming cancer causing and a similar last claiming cancer preventing …. scary how much overlap there was 😉

Flaperon

There is a certain irony that you're far more likely to ingest carcinogens from the black paint you used on the bottle caps than from the plastic bottles. It's long been debunked as an urban myth.

AlasdairMc

There's a site that lists all the Daily Mail scare stories and how they contradict each other – link unknown by me

retro83
    Free Member

Is this the BPA chemical you're talking about or something else? If it is, i noticed that halfords were stocking some bottles in with their camping stuff which mentioned having no BPA

allthepies
    Free Member

>Just found today that using plastic bottles with "1" symbol gives you cancer

🙄

redthunder
    Free Member

Bottles with "1" on them are recommended as one use only.

redthunder
    Free Member

So are those 500ml cola bottles from the supermarket iffy ? Can I reuse them again and again safely ?

Anyway, got a proper drinks bottles now.

coffeeking
    Free Member

"Commentary published in Environmental Health Perspectives in April 2010 suggested that PET might yield endocrine disruptors under conditions of common use and recommended research on this topic. Proposed mechanisms include leaching of phthalates as well as leaching of antimony.[14] Other authors have published evidence indicating that it is quite unlikely that PET yields endocrine disruptors.[15]"

Jolsa

Can someone translate the above for me please?

Drac

There's a site that lists all the Daily Mail scare stories and how they contradict each other – link unknown by me

Just like radiation then.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The release of Pthlates from PET is well documented.

In the mid 90's working as a pollution officer, if you suspected pthlate pollution (which, to be fair, is pretty difficult) you need to use glass bottles for the samples – PET bottles would give you a massive GC/GSMS spike.

Fairly unavoidable TBH, since even tins these days have plasticised interiors, and glass jars have plasticised coatings on the metal lids to give a good seal.

I've not tracked EU progress on banning 'Gender bending' chemicals for a few years, but pthlates were definitely on the list.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I think PC (polycarbonate) is meant to be much worse.

failedengineer

I worked in the plastics industry, specifically with PET containers, for a good few years and didn't hear that one – there was a bit of a scare regarding PC and some companies stopped making baby feeding bottles in it. I always thought PET was inert.

Trekster

will ask the mad prof when I get to work on Wed, we make PET chip and then film inc the tin can liners and other packaging solutions.I just do machine maint.
    The liners were developed for 2 reasons I believe; 1; to allow less metal to be used and make them cheaper to manufacture and 2; to prevent internal corrosion and leaching of poisons from said can/tin

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I was told, through a professional source, that the problem arises due to repeated squeezing causing the surface to "break" thus releasing chemicals. We've all heard the cracking sound from these bottles if you squeeze them in and out.

odannyboy
    Free Member

Suprised we are all still here debating this, we should have all had our brains fryed and bacame sterile from radiation from our mobile phones in the last five years or more…and as for that microwave oven you bought in 1987…lethal!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recycling symbols on plastic bottles…. Dont use Number 1 :-(’ is closed to new replies.