Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • recon 351 all travel adjust
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi all.doing a full service on them tomorow.
    going to up the travel from 100mm.
    got the pdf service of sram site printed.
    right. to up them to 130 just remove the 30mm spacer,is there any reason why i can,t cut the spacer to 10mm leave that in and take it up to 120mm as 130 is just a bit too much for i think the frame angles will take.
    can see that working or am i over looking something.

james
    Free Member

Probably the squareness of the cut. You’d have to take any burrs off the cut edge and probably chamfer the edges a little to match the non cut end maybe. Just so long as the cut edge can’t damage any internals

If it we me I’d be much happier using a genuine 10mm spacer instead (the recon 327 comes at 120mm so their must be a 10mm version). Else a 15mm spacer (Supplied with ’09 dual air revelation apparantly) maybe easier to get as a spare?

robhughes
    Free Member

cheers james.i,ll have a looksee io tinterweb for a rs 10mm spacer but i,m sure i could make a 10mm very acuratly.i,v go a lathe and loads of cutting tools and fortunatly for me my dad was a tool maker so things get done to within a 1000th of an inch(cleaver git)he can tell when you,ve even picked something up,(thats got a thow of sweat on that he he)

james
    Free Member

I should probably point out that I’ve never opened up a fork, so everything I’ve said about making a suitable cut is all guesswork ..

ampthill

James I salute you. A man after my own heart. Deduced expertise followed by guilt that some one is listening and thinks I actally know

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The spacer is rubbery. A cut with a Stanley knife will do it. I’d just whip the whole thing out. Done it on a Trance. No problems.

robhughes
    Free Member

job done.trout wrestler.the spacer is plastic, it,s the bootom out that is rubber.
    dead simple to do,the spacer is actualy 37mm as it has a revolving top cap to it so i removed the lot,full oils change.15w-5w high performance race bike spec.all new o rings,neoprene from highend blumbers merchants,bought a load for £2.total cost of full service £16.i.m made up.first time i,ve done it and is a piece of piss,mind you i,ll blow my own trumpet a i have race prepared a ford kent engine before now.god i,m good he he (self apreciation society).i ,ll now remake the spacer out of ti,probebly do a couple to take the travel to exactly 120mm as now they are at 137mm.jobs a gooden.

ampthill

engine rebuild’s. great distinguishing , from ‘ more difficuilt!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I remember a ribbed rubbery thing with plastic ends – perhaps that was something else (!), anyway – It was in Recon solo air, an OEM one. Defo chopped it with the Stanley knife and put the stub, with the plastic ends back in. If you’ve allowed your air side to extend to 137mm, you might be putting pressure on the damping circuit at maximum extension.

robhughes
    Free Member

trout i thought about this it just seems too much for the forks.acording to the sram site it,s just a matter of removing the spacer but the spacer is in two bits that are connected ,they measure 37mm.i,m not going to use the bike untill i,ve made a proper sized spacer.has any one else on here ever done this.
    ampthill.(engine rebuild’s. great distinguishing , from ‘ more difficuilt!)whats your problem,fool.

ampthill

BNo problem with ‘ and ,

I’m an appauling speller

But I liked the ironny of one highly developed set of skill against the typos, no offence meant

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘recon 351 all travel adjust’ is closed to new replies.