Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommned me a cycle trainer for around £100 -120 or less
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

Anyone got anything they think is good, are Minoura ones good?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get a magnectic one for that price, fluid ones are even betteer but cost a fortune, fan ones are cheeper but drive you insane.

Always thought there was a gap in the market for a turbo trainer with a big fan on it, i.e. a rowing machine sized one to keep the noise down, would also circulate some desperately needed air.

Edit: I've got this one Cyclops MAG trainer, remote resistance adjustment is overated, just bang it in the highest setting and start in a low gear.

Ohh and get a road bike for it, they'r horrible on a mountainbike (nowhere near enough resistance and noisy), just something cheep and aproximately the right size off gumtree etc. And a heavy rear wheel/tire combo helps as well.

stumpy01

I've got a Tacx one (can't tell you the model off-hand, but it's blue) that I think cost £125. It's got 10 variable levels and seems pretty good.
    I got it from CRC.

leahstaff
    Free Member

I'll second the Cyclops Mag one ! easy to setup and fix to the bike, not too noisy. Does what it says on the tin !

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Ok thanks guys, the cyclops Mag seems pretty good.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Got a Tacx Sirius for my birthday its great.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ohh and get a spare rear wheel if your using your nice road bike, turbo's eat tyres. When I did my knee in and could only ride indoors (less irregular movements) I got through a non-turbo speific tire in about 6 weeks.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Currently don't have a road bike to put on it but have a large GT avalanche that's bigger than other bikes, was thinking of using that making sure I have a pretty large outer chainring, hoping that'll do the trick with a slcik rear tyre.

Notter
    Free Member

Tackx Sirius here also and no complaints. Not particularly noisy at all, although I do have it paired with a specific Conti Training Tyre.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Problem is MTB slicks are tiny (700*23c road wheel is about the same as a 26*2.1" mtb wheel).

If you want to use the original frame etc maybe look for a 50+ tooth chainwheel and a cheep road bike rear wheel (its easily fit in the frame) and put a cheep cassette on it.

but even that will probably work out more than the £40-£50 for a decrepit road bike and £20 for a conti turbo tyre.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I see what you're saying, think I'll have a look around for a cheap road bike too then

IHN

Why do turbos eat tyres? Surely there's bugger all resistance from a stainless steel roller?

Not disputing, just wondering.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

You'll get a cycleops magneto (with automatic resistance) for that cash, can't recall what I paid for mine but it was under that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommned me a cycle trainer for around £100 -120 or less’ is closed to new replies.