Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommentions For A GPS
  • clairec
    Free Member

Sorry if done to death!
    I’m looking for recommendations for a GPS for mtb’ing. Just looking for something I can pre load with a route taken from an os map or software & then be able to store afterwards. Something that’s easy to read & easy to use. I don’t need heart rate monitor or anything like that. Needless to say I know next to sod all about the types that are out there. I’ve heard that Garmin GPS 60 might be a good choice as is Garmin edge 705 or 800? (thinking of getting something second hand from ebay) . Also what software do people use?
    Cheers for your help
    Claire
    🙂

singletracksurfer

SatMap for me. Big, clear, easy to use screen.
    Used the Garmin 800 but it is too fiddly and confusing for me. Not very intuitive to use.

podgeskeeper
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Etrex HCX. Its simple to use and the screen size is good too. Its not a specific mtb GPS like the edge’s but I found being able to use standard AA rechargeable batteries much better than the edge’s built in unit. Very handy if your out on longer rides.

I combine the etrex with the free opencycle maps and it works well, but if your ebaying it, you’ll probably be able to pick up one with OS maps. On my PC I have the Anquet software and downloaded their maps, think I paid about £7 for most of the midlands @ 1.50 scale. The software can be a bit fiddly but you’ll be able to plan your routes well enough.

gusamc
    Free Member

decide if you want rolling OS map (satmap/now technology) or peppercorn trail technology (ie old Garmin Extrex etc – no OS map on screen, LOTS cheaper)

I’m now Satmap and Memory map, like both, but I still use an OS map en route, mainly as you get a much wider picture etc, so can scope loops etc and I like seeing the overall picure ‘in my head’.

I got by for years with an Old Garmin Extrex, and just following the arrow, and using the map with multiway junctions etc.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve just spent ages looking. Started on a low budget just to record where I’ve been and ended ordering the Edge 800 with Performance and Map bundles.

What I got from looking around and speaking to people who use them is that once you start using it you will use it a lot. That made me decide to get the best one I could afford and keep it for a long time.

As I understand it the GPS chips in the new Edge units were replaced fairly recently with newer ones which pick up a signal better. That and a warranty made me want to most recent one available too.

In the Edge series the 605 is the first one with maps you can view out and about.

Guy I know bought a Bryton from Wiggle and seemed fairly impressed – it was the first time he’d had it out so not long term enough for a proper review.

hallz
    Free Member

I have the Edge 800 which is very good but does take quite a bit of getting used to. Its not intuitive at all and i have had a few gripes along the way – one of them being that for the money I had expected the accuracy to be a bit better. But i havent had one before so i was learning from scratch and i had nothing to compare it to.

I have had it for about 9 months now and use it regularly.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d recommend something like the Garmin Dakota

but then again, I would 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-garmin-dakota-20-24

clairec
    Free Member

Cheers all,
    Quite like the Satmap 10 now that i’ve looked at the spec. The map software looks a bit cheaper than the Garmins too.

shedfull
    Free Member

Use an iPhone, Android phone or Windows 6.5 smartphone and Memory Map. That way you have a device that can do other stuff when you’re not riding.

mikey74
    Free Member

That way you have a device that can do other stuff when you’re not riding

Only once you’ve recharged it. IME, the GPS uses the battery fast on these devices. I was thinking about the same thing, but I have decided that a proper GPS unit, with it’s proper weather-proofing, is the way to go.

I am currently weighing up whether to get either the Edge 200 or the 500

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommentions For A GPS’ is closed to new replies.