• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommended thorn / puncture proof commuting / touring tyres
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommended tyres that are pretty thorn-proof or puncture resistant in general? 700cc and probably 28 – 32 (to fit on a Specialized tricross)

Doesn’t have to be heavy duty (as I’m a pretty light weight so no matter how much baggage I carry on the bike the combined weight would be less than the average chap), but my route to work is notorious for thorns, and I puncture about 50% of the time which frankly is now just putting me off riding in cos it’s such a pita.

So, lightweight, easy rolling, thorn resistant, able to take on an occassional bit of gravel track, and also easy to get on! I’ve read a few reviews of punture resistant / touring tyres that all seem to say you need to be a strongman to get them on and off. I struggle quite a bit already (small hands and a previously badly mended broken thumb), so ease of getting them on is crucial.

Suggestions please …

rewski
    Free Member

armidillo or schwable marathon plus, schwables are kevlar lined so heavy.

Pieface

Schwalbe marathon plus bullet proof, although heavy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Contis with the puncture protection – they really do work. Take your pick
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/citytouring.shtml

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m using conti gp4 seasons. Few punctures but I fitted some panaracer puncture proof tape and had 0 punctures in the last 2 months riding on grit covered cycle path.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon XR.

rewski
    Free Member

Schwalbes are literally bullet proof, although I did manage to split one on a shard of glass that got embedded. It must of forced it’s way in over a long period of time, 32 miles a day 5 days a week over a year and one puncture, not bad.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I had continental travel contact ProTection on my last commuter, only ever got one puncture in about 6 months use and I was usually repairing one at least once a week. They were really terrible in the mud but not too bad on gravel and rolled really nice on tarmac.

Just now I’m running Continental tour rides, they’ve a bit more grip but still roll really nicely. I’ve change my route to work to avoid the hawthorn strewn path so not really sure what puncture protection is like. They’re pretty cheap on crc at the mo. 700C x 37

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Plus FTW….. if you find them heavy going, sacrifice the tread for the smooth topped Durano Plus.

nickhart
    Free Member

specialized armadillos for me too, or the cheap and cheerful from decathlon.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Continental sport contact ftw.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Durano Plus here… 5000miles on them and one puncture and only a worn rear…

Bullet proof..

Not the fastest rolling though. I use mine in winter when roads are horrid then go to somthing lighter/faster rolling come summer..

mocha
    Free Member

if it’s just thorns and not bigger stuff why not use slime tubes? they should seal the thorn holes and may be not as heavy as a Marathon Plus. Not much stops thorns but if you can seal it once it’s in jobs a good un!

mrcamel
    Free Member

I’ve used Panaracer ribmos and Schwalbe Marathon Racers for commuting and touring. Currently running ‘Racer 35s on Pompino, and Ribmo 26in on mtb tourer.
    I always found the armadillos to be a bit dead feeling.

hainman
    Free Member

+1 for the spesh armadillos.had them for a while and been riding with guys who puncture 2 or 3 times and nowt for me.

plumber
    Free Member

city jets for me 🙂

Baldysquirt

I’m using some new Hemisphere armadillos having had an old set that only got one puncture per tyre in a 9000km tour – and never punctured again in this country. I do know what mrcamel means about dead feeling, though, and they are heavy.

uwe-r
    Free Member

DMR motos for me – vast rolling and a great big volume feel.

binners

Another vote for Schwalbes. I use City Jets. In London we are told, the streets are paved with gold. My commute, however, takes me through Mosside, where they are lined with broken glass, syringes and splintered human skulls.

Even a large, particularly ragged cheekbone, or a baseball bat full of nails appear incapable of puncturing them. Get a pair

warton
    Free Member

+1 for schwalbe Marathon plus.

I had some conti speed king CX tyres that came on my commuter. Puncture after puncture, riding on roads! I’d like to know if anyone has finished, let alone won a CX race on these tyres! Fitted the Marathons last week and they are bulletproof. Can be had for 40 quid a pair on ebay too

FOG

Don’t believe the schwalbe hype. I have got the super heavy heavy Marathons on my 26″ mtb tourer and I still managed to get a thorn puncture not crossing the Amazon Basin but pottling round local lanes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommended thorn / puncture proof commuting / touring tyres’ is closed to new replies.