Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommended helmet light mounts?
  • hock

Any recommendations for a helmet light and helmet mount that doesn’t get ripped off and/or destroyed by the first low hanging branch?

Wouldn’t mind a lMagicshine light for the helmet. But they seem to be mounted very high and look like they would either snap off or break easily.

Is there a way of mounting lights more to the front of the helmet so that they sit lower and are out of branches’ ways?

Cheers!

Simon

Try ducking?

hock

Try ducking?

Yeah, I tried that. But it always felt humiliating. You know? To duck below the flora. It felt like surrender to nature. Anyway, I couldn’t bear it and ever since ride upright no matter what comes into my way.

hock

And that’s cool. I wear the bruises with pride as a testament for the human resistance against the supression by the plants. But loosing a light a few miles into every ride is expensive and makes the whole upright riding thing even more of a struggle.

(bump)

wwaswas

Lupine Piko – light head in front of the helmet just above the peak and battery at the back. weighs bugger all, is tiny and very strong.

hock

Thanks! 😀

I thought I had to bump on about the additional friction created by brushing through the undergrowth which quite possibly is even higher than the wind and rolling resistance.

Any further advise on low/front mounts appreciated! 😉

sparksmcguff

Honestly I don’t have anything to add that’s in anyway constructive, but some cable ties have done the job for me this winter.

hock

Hi sparks,

that’s a good point actually, taking one mount and tying it to the front with cable ties.
    I’ll consider that!

Especially as the Lupine Pico is selling at more than GBP200… 😯

Did anybody tie the Magicshine helmet mount to the front, yet?
    Or are there other helmet mounts that would suit a Magicshine?

Cheers!

dst
    Free Member

I was perhaps fortunate but the mount on my MS fitted quite snugly in the vent in my MET helmet. A small piece of foam under the front and some insulation tape around the light – sorted.

Very stable although it still felt more top heavy than when I just had a torch cable tied on

wwaswas

Especially as the Lupine Pico is selling at more than GBP200

well, yes but I don’t want to be faffing around with zip ties and bits of foam to keep them attached and pointed where I’m looking.

I spent some time with cheap and diy lights and just got fed up with them never being quite right for various reasons.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cable ties but preferabbly rubber bands / velcro.

IMO its essential the light will breakaway / come off the mounting easily and be as low profile as possible in case of it hitting / catching on something – otherwise you are just adding a lever to break your neck to your helmet

hock

Hi dst,

just to be sure before I order:
    – you are using the original Magicshine helmet mount pictured below
    – you have attached it to the front(al area) of your helmet (i.e. not on top of the helmet)
    – and you can adjust the light so that it the beam points forward?

My main concern with the Magicshine mount was, that it doesn’t look as if you can still point the beam forward when you mount it to the front of the helmet.

Thanks for confirming!

TiRed

The Cateye standard front light mount fits my Giro. Can ziptie somthing to this, or use a Cateye light.

hock

IMO its essential the light will breakaway / come off the mounting easily and be as low profile as possible in case of it hitting / catching on something

Yes Jeremy, that’s what I am looking for! So how did you achieve it? Which light with which mount(ing method)?

otherwise you are just adding a lever to break your neck to your helmet

Yeah! I wrecked a helmet and almost hang myself in the process by catching on a big bad branch with my B7 Led lenser torch which was strapped on top of my helmet with a strong velcro strap. Ouuch! And just for the record: I ducked! Just not low enough…

Result:
    – helmet broken, one helmet strap ripped from anchor point
    – some sort of strange sore throat for a few days
    – slight dizzyness and head ache for a few hours
    – B7 torch just fine…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Home brew lights, lots of thought and some o rings

hee 001 by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

hock

Ah, I see!

The “breakaway / come off the mounting easily” part is ticked.
    The “low profile” part only to a certain degree…

I could try to apply your O-ring approach to my B7 torch for the time being and the sake of my neck.

But I still hope to find a front mount for one of the Magicshines.
    Or another moderately priced but proper solution.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommended helmet light mounts?’ is closed to new replies.