Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Recommendations short travel FS (100 – 120mm)
  • RepacK
    Free Member

Im looking at a short travel FS bike for multi-day enduro racing (Trans Rockies, La Ruta etc), any thoughts from STW massif?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Giant Anthem would be high up on my list for that sort of thing. Really nice spec, great bounce!

Orange ST4 is another that’s really impressed me of late.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Demoed an ST4 – my personal opinion is that this bike only makes sense if you can afford to pimp it out.

The biggest problem with the ST4 is the Orange Five. The ST4 isn’t really any lighter (6.8lb vs 6.4lb for 18″ frame), it feels like you’re riding a Five (sit on one blind folded and you’d be hard pushed to tell), only it’s less capable on the big stuff (that’s not to say it isn’t capable).

It does pedal better, there’s a remarkable lack of pedal bob and they could save money by fitting a basic float shock.

Where the ST4 would make sense IMO is if you pimp it out. The Five is always going to be limited to a heavier 140mm fork. I reckon the ST4 could take a 100mm fork instead of 120mm so something like a SID and some racier wheels and you’ve got yourself an awesome light but tough alldayer.

In S and Pro spec, you might as well bag the Five.

So to answer your question…

an Anthem?

njee20
    Free Member

Epic or Top Fuel if you can get hold of them.

Anthem, ASR-SLc

Take your pick…

hp_source

I’ve got an ’08 trek top fuel 8, and find it fine for all kinds of riding, from pootling about, to bike marathon’s, to the odd bit of black run.

😀

Bream
    Free Member

I have an Giant Anthem Advanced and I’m very very happy with it, highly recommended by me 8)

When I was looking to buy I narrowed it down to either the Anthem or an Epic, it just happened the Anthem came up first at the right price. Plus the Epic frame changed for 09 and you can’t just buy the frame which is a shame I think. The Anthem Advanced has stayed the same for 08 & 09.

Can’t go wrong with either IMHO.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ellsworth truth 🙂

ajr
    Free Member

Ventana El Saltamontes.

RepacK
    Free Member

Ive had a look round & 1 point I had my heart set on a Merida 96 (ally frame) but their sizing doesnt suit me – Im a 17″ frame & they only do 16 or 18..So I then went & had a look at the Scott Spark 20 as the designs are so familiar – lovely bike but way tooo many ££££’s..So I then thought about an SC Superlight – in the UK its about £3k in the spec Im looking at but in the US (Im off there soon) its about £2700.

Interesting that the Anthem is getting a lot of shouts..Ellsworth Truth worth looking at as well..

chakaping
    Free Member

Do try an Anthem out, they really are stunning to ride.

And the extra 1/2 inch added this year should make it a bit less hairy when you overcook things.

aP
    Free Member

Intense Spider FRO – 100mm travel, lightweight, fast

theflatboy
    Free Member

ellsworth truth is absolute quality, being basically a less poncy version of my current true love:

such a good bike 🙂

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Scott Spark for me.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

2nd Scott Spark

Adam@Homers
    Free Member

What about a rocky mountain element?

onewheelgood

Anthem X – I’ve got an X1 and it’s lovely – something of a bargain too.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Used a Santa Cruz Superlight for an Alpine stage race last year – it was fine the whole time I was sat on it, climbs well, descends well. Would have preferred something a little lighter for the sections of carrying though.

Having said all that, probably three-quarters of the field were on hardtails, especially the guys at the front.

RepacK
    Free Member

Yeah – the Q perhaps is: Do you really need a FS for multi-stage races? I mean the climbs arent going to be mega technical where FS may give an edge..As for the downs well – how much time will a HT lose over a FS? They say you make more time ascending than descending..

Nobby

ASR SL, Anthem or Epic.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Turner Flux, Trek Fuel EX. A couple of mates have bought Trek’s this year and they are a huge step forward from the tat they were producing a couple of years ago.

The Flux looks over priced on paper but it is strong, stiffer than any other full sus bike I’ve ever ridden and only 5.5lbs. Although that’s my 06 model and I can’t comment on the new DW Link frames.

theflatboy
    Free Member

well the ellsworth truth is 5.6lbs in medium and has the unbettered four bar horst link system at the back. so i still say get that. 🙂

Nobby

well the ellsworth truth is 5.6lbs in medium

Blimey that’s a pound heavier than the ASR. 😉

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Blimey that’s a pound heavier than the ASR

Really?! There is such a thing as too light;-)

RepacK
    Free Member

Hmm interesting – the SC Superlight is 6.6lbs..Not so Superlight me thinks..

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’d still take the truth, i can cope with lugging around that extra 453g 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

The MSC Carbon Koncept is 3.8lbs or sommat, you have to wonder…

The aluminium Anthem is lighter than the carbon one, I’d get that. The Anthem X0 looks like excellent value, they’re proving really popular this year at races.

Do Truths still snap if you look at them strangely?

I wouldn’t have one.

chomp
    Free Member

commencal 4.2 – Merlin have them at £1300 which is an absolute steal imho

mikejd

Second commencal super 4.2. Got mine from Merlin, absolute bargain.

Nobby

Do Truths still snap if you look at them strangely?

I hope not. That’d mean dealing with Freeborn which is the main reason I’d not have one! 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

I rode an Orange ST4 on Saturday @ Llandegla on their demo day.

I’m 5’11” and rode an 18″ frame, while the bike feels fast as anythign I’ve ridden, the BB feels pretty low (?) and I also felt like ai was sat over the back of the bike, don’t know if it was just the way it is but it felt kinda weird.

Still it climbed bloody well (on teh little climb out of the car-park) and zipped along the trail

datsunman

Repack – Slane Cycles have a couple of ’08 model Spark 30’s left for £1800, the spec is ever so slightly lower than this years 30 but around seven hundred quid cheaper.

Plenty left to turn it into a Spark 20/10 as I’m planning to do, mine should be here tomorrow/Thursday.

And if anyone wants to buy an ’08 Trek EX9 drop me a mail, will be up in the classifieds soon. 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

the BB feels pretty low

I found that too but it made for a ripper of a bike on smooth but fast descents! I’d imagine Llandegla is quite an ideal trail for it actually.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Turner Flux?

jim76
    Free Member

“Do Truths still snap if you look at them strangely?”

No Nick they don’t 🙄

I still get the odd 01-04 (MK2) chainstay in for replacement of course which is a straight swap for the newer (current) style asymetric chainstay, but other than that, all good ta 😉

NZCol

Rocky Mountain Element 90 or Team
    Anthem of any description – for the $ the spec is amazing
    Epic if you like longer bikes as they are quite stretched out
    Scott Spark
    or soemthing of that ilk

You;d probably find a FS easier on your body (i have done multi day races on my HT and on my FS and prefer the latter). Light is good, but only light and durable for example i use cable discs now to minimise risk of busted hydro lines which happened a few times – mainly going/in out of bike boxes and transitions etc.

ronburgundy

I have just (Friday) got a Intense Spider 2 and it rocks!
    Not the lightest frame at around 5.8lbs but its first ride was a local XC race and then 3 1/2 hours trail riding on Sunday and i have been blown away at how good it is. No bob under power and plenty plush with 4.5 or 5″ travel settings and im running a Float 120 fork but will also take anywhere from 100 – 140mm. Absolutely worth a look!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Get a cannondale they are the best bikes i have ever riden…by far a rush carbon is your best bet
    good luck

mudpup
    Free Member

You can get this frame online for sub £1k if you hunt around – its a luvverly ride

druidh
    Free Member

Aren’t some of these suggestions (Anthem, Epic) a lot more “racy” than stuff like the ST4 / Commie Super 4?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Ive had a look round & 1 point I had my heart set on a Merida 96 (ally frame) but their sizing doesnt suit me – Im a 17″ frame & they only do 16 or 18.

Not the best way to fit yourself for a bike. Seat tube length isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.
    Top tube length (reach) is far more important. 16″ in one frame could fit you exactly the same as a 17″ or 18″ from a different company.

Not saying you should get the Merida, just don’t discount frames because they don’t do a 17″ frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations short travel FS (100 – 120mm)’ is closed to new replies.