Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommendations on underwear that makes a soggy bottom comfortable.
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Looking for some underwear that makes a soggy bum comfortable.

I dont do padded shorts so the obvious garments are out of the question.

I’ve got some insulated lycra bib longs (unpadded) for the cold depths which make my bottom happy, even when it’s wet. Looking for something that offers the same level of comfort in a short variety.

Been looking at insulating compression boxers, that’ll do, won’t it?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Just get some Lycra shorts and be done with it – you can hide them under baggies anyway… They don’t all have a chamois, and given that you use Lycra longs it’s not like shorts are significantly different. Add chamois creme for even more comfort.

mrmo
    Free Member

and if you want to avoid the wet bum situation i find Endura Superlite waterproof shorts work, others will suggest army surplus goretex trousers cut off at the knee.

maccruiskeen

Helly Hensen do boxers / briefs in the same material as the lifa base layers. I’ve used them more for touring, for quick laundering/drying but they’re good for not getting waterlogged and chaffy if they’re wet.

As an outer layer Surface Liquistretch shorts are good too, more showerproof than waterproof but they don’t get heavy and clingy when wet.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d second using standard padded arse lycra shorts under your baggies.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Done with trying out more waterproof shorts, no matter what magic material they are, they WILL get overwhelmed, wet out and be as effective as a normal pair of shorts.

You’re always going to get a wet bum unless you run mudgaurds, may aswell make yourself comfortable when you do get wet.

Northwind

Not my experience of waterproof shorts tbh.

DanW
    Free Member

It’s a bit daft to exclude lycra/ normal bike shorts as they are designed to do exactly what you are looking for. Plenty of nice undershorts available too from DHB/ Bontrager/ Mavic etc which are less padded than a normal cycling short but well fitted, super comfortable and more like underwear than a traditional short.

The fit and materials of a standard cycling short or undershort is what makes them so comfortable even when wet. Why so adverse to a padded short?

Junkyard
    Free Member

not my experience of various waterproofs either even in biblical levels of rain

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mate of mine has waterproof shorts and he still complained of a soggy bottom this morning. I think a mudguard is the only way to keep the botty baby fresh.

mrmo
    Free Member

Mate of mine has waterproof shorts and he still complained of a soggy bottom this morning. I think a mudguard is the only way to keep the botty baby fresh.

My experience of mudguards is that on mtbs they are a waste of time, either clog up, get knocked, broken bent, they don’t keep the crap off your calves which for me is the worst place to get cold and wet.

To each their own.

DanW
    Free Member

I’d agree mrmo wrt mudguards

I would also say there are plenty of decent waterproof shorts and longs out there.

Also there is a big difference IMO between being wet and cold and being wet, warm and comfortable. Being wet with some clothing tend to be cold and uncomfortable. What really matters is warmth and comfort as far as 4-5 hour MTB rides go in my experience. Some clothing can do that for you. Heck, most rides my upper body gets damp due to sweat and the trick is staying warm and comfortable in those circumstances and not freezing on the next DH when the intensity drops a bit and the windchill etc go up

dobo
    Free Member

gore briefs, i dont use them cycling as find bib tights fine, but for mud/water running and obstacle races they are great with any shorts, and dont get cold or saggy and keep you together.

scotroutes

You are molgrips’ twin brother and ICMFP

chiefgrooveguru

Stretchy microfibre boxers seem to be the answer for me, from M&S or wherever. The key is them having a good amount of Lycra ~5%+, and zero natural fibre in there. The padded shorts are kept for epic XC rides but I haven’t done any long sit-down rides in a long time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Proper shorts, proper mudguards, stop fannying about.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A crud catcher mudguard doesn’t get clogged up with mud. Doesn’t keep the crud off the back of your legs but keeps your bottom bone dry. Though they don’t work with dropper posts. Look crap but if you want a dry bum it’s the only way

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations on underwear that makes a soggy bottom comfortable.’ is closed to new replies.