Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommendations for turbo trainer specific tyre?
  • relliott6879
    Free Member

I’m about to invest in a turbo trainer for use over the winter (living in Glasgow, the prospect of winter night rides in the freezing cold and horizontal rain don’t appeal… please don’t judge me!). From what I can gather from reading online, a specific tyre is pretty much a ‘must’, as a regular tyre will wear out pretty quickly due to the heat generated by the friction against the trainer’s roller.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for or against any particular (700c) tyre? My main priority is finding one that generates minimum noise, as I’ll be using the trainer in my kitchen and don’t fancy Mrs Wife filing for divorce. I’m aware that the trainer itself will emit some noise, but I don’t want to exacerbate that any more than necessary. Price, within reason, is not a concern and neither are lurid colours – if anything, they’d probably assist me by not forgetting to change the wheel back over and accidentally going out on the road with the turbo tyre in place!

Tyres I’ve been looking at are Tacx, CycleOps, Vittoria and Schwalbe, but they all appear to be much of a muchness. Any input on experience of these or others would be gratefully received.

jonba
    Free Member

On-one do one. I can’t vouch for noise but you’d have to use it a hell of a lot to wear out a tyre. I do 2- 3 hours a week through winter and simply use one of last years race tyres – it is pretty knackered when it goes on but is still serviceable for turbo use come March.

davieg
    Free Member

I have used a Vittoria 26″ turbo tyre and an Elite 700 turbo tyre. Can’t say there was any noticeable difference between the two. Cannot say they are particularly noisy either, no more than the sound the turbo generates. Both tyres are red, but they were bought for function not style.

I use my turbo in the garage but if you are indoors, you may want to explore some bluetooth headphones if you want to keep your wife happy. Otherwise, you will need to ratchet up the decibels to hear your music, tv above the turbo which may not please your wife or neighbours.

If you get on with the turbo, you should check out Sufferfest and or Trainer Road.

eskay

If you get on with the turbo, you should check out Sufferfest and or Trainer Road.

Or turbotraining.co.uk

British based equivalent of TR and slightly cheaper.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Otherwise, you will need to ratchet up the decibels to hear your music, tv above the turbo

Depends if you have bought a noisy turbo. Fluid ones are much quiter. And some turbos wear tyres out quick than others.

I just use a slick Vittoria road tyre that I have. Think it cost me about £7 its getting quite square shaped now, but still not through to the core.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few. Preference is for the blue Tacx ones. Seem to last well and not shed rubber.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I have used a turbo trainer since 1990 (pretty much when they came out I think). I have never used a specific tyre. I have always used regular tyres with no problems at all. Hardest thing is getting the friction just right but once set up should all be ok. I have an old training bike on my turbo trainer and it stay on the trainer permanently. You better put a mat down in the kitchen as well because you will sweat lots!!

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Decathlon do one if you have one nearby, been using one for a while with no issues and they’re cheaper than most others.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have a decathlon red one. Cheap and lasted a year so far no problems

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for turbo trainer specific tyre?’ is closed to new replies.