Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommendations for things to do: Cape Town
  • -m-
    Free Member

Off to Cape Town next week for a friend’s wedding, but have bolted on a few days before to make the journey worthwhile. Although I’ve been to Jo’burg before on business I’ve never been to Cape Town.

What are people’s thoughts on places to go / things to do (sadly this trip won’t include any cycling…)?

Does anyone have any experience(s) of walking up Table Mountain and can recommend a route/routes? – something manageable and self-guided in a day due to time limitations.

Thanks

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Walk to the top of Table Mountain via Platteklip Gorge (I think that’s the correct name). Straightforward but spectacular walk which takes 2-3 hours. Descend by cable car. I did this in 2000 with a party of school kids though we had a local guide. With a wee bit of research, you’d find the route easily enough.

Robben Island also worth a visit. Lots of trips daily.

mrsflash
    Free Member

As above also tea at the mount nelson, wander round the waterfront, drive down to the cape and hopefully see some whales on the way and the Penguins at Boulders Beach.

We have a couple of guide books still if you want to borrow?

-m-
    Free Member

Thanks both (and to Mrs Flash for the offer of guide books). We’ve got a guide book somewhere, was just looking for personal recommendations / pointers and experiences. I’ll take a look at the Platteklip Gorge route.

Weather is looking pleasant at the moment as well 🙂

Thanks again

Lactic
    Free Member

The trip out to cape point is worthwhile, spectacular views and delinquent monkeys.

user-removed
    Free Member

The massive aquarium at the waterfront is well worth a look. I went under duress and was blown away – huge tanks, sharks and all manner of weird and wonderful beasties.

Rickos
    Free Member

Boulders beach is great. Bizarre to see penguins on a beach while it’s lovely and sunny. Will you be able to get out to the winelands (Stellenbosch, etc.) to sample a few?

phiiiiil

As an alternative I can highly recommend going up Table Mountain by starting from the Kirstenbosch Gardens, going up Skeleton Gorge and down Nursery Ravine. Skeleton is fun – there’s a bit in the middle with ladders – and the view down the Nursery Ravine is amazing; proper vertical cliffs towering above you.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Shame there is no biking could you borrow a road bike. The road from Cape Town to Cape Point and back to Simonstown (via Boulders naturally) would be fantastic – can be done in a car with other half too.

Stellenbosh? Dellheim vineyard is one of the nicest places I have been & does great ostrich curry.

phiiiiil

If you change your mind about the biking I’m sure the nice chaps at iRideAfrica will hire you a bike and some clobber…

iain1775
    Free Member

Harrys Pancakes at the harbour for lunch
    Boulder beach penguins and Simonstown
    Cape Point
    Table mountain (cable car up, walk down)
    do the open top red bus tour
    trip to wine lands
    there is a diamond cutting place somewhere in the financial district (I think) that filled an hour
    whale watching (not sure if right time of year)
    don’t go swimming with the sharks its just wrong!
    and above all Robben Island

Scamper
    Free Member

Stellenbosch (sp) is very nice, for a cultural wine booze cruise. And you can see where Mandella was released.

Car hire is cheap to drive down the coast to cape point etc etc.

SidKillerest
    Free Member

If you are in the City, look out for the crazy man with the tallest hat in the world. He will be speaking to Madiba on the phone, but will let you speak to him too, for a few pennies!

Straightliner

If you want fantastic accomodation and amazing food, try Constantia Uitsig, and in particular La Colombe restaurant. Also Franschoek is worth a trip for good food establishments and not far from Stellenbosch. Nearer Capetown (Camps Bay) cocktails at the Twelve Apostles as the sun goes down is rather nice.

Thoroughly recommend the penguins and Robben island as well. Concerts in Kirstenbosch can be good. There’s a boat trip out to seal island from Hout Bay which is fun.

-m-
    Free Member

Excellent – loads of great ideas. We will have a car so Stellenbosch is on the cards as well as things in/around the city.

Phiiiil and Gee-Jay you have some excellent suggestions, but sadly these are unlikely to be compatible with my other half on this trip…

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We were staying in Simonstown and hired a car to follow false bay round, then Stellenbosch & stayed here in Franshoek. Then onto Cape Town for a couple of days the dockside area was cool. Haut Bay is lovely for lunch too & I did like the “beware of the cobras” sign at Cape Point.. as per my posting the drive along the Atlantic Coast is beautiful

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Green Dolphin

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Victoria and Alfred shopping centre is massive and had lots of cafe’s eateries by it so you can sit and watch the harbour while indulging gently with street theatre etc around you. Good for an afternoon.

mrsflash
    Free Member

have you booked accom yet? if not I can thoroughly recommend here

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for things to do: Cape Town’ is closed to new replies.