• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recommendations for Family Cycling Holidays in the Peak District 21-28 Aug
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

The wife is googling the job, but i know local knowledge is best from holidaytrackworld. 16 year old and 11 year old daughters and wife all good on their mountain bikes.

Ideally a I’ll be dragging 2 year old boy behind me in the offroad buggy. We’ve done blue routes at trail centres together successfully.

Any recommended routes or accommodation? Or interesting things to see?

Thanks in advance.

Garry_Lager

Be tough to find some proper mountain biking routes which are emnable to the buggy – the Peak is v rocky and there are a ton of gates littering the place.

There are three decent stretches of disused railway in the white Peak (southern part) – Monsal, High peak and Tissington trails. Nice with the trailer and for family bimbling. I’ve also done the longdendale trail with a trailer as an out and back (series of reservoirs toward the N of the park).

Ladybower reservoir is a good base for mountain biking, the family could explore stuff whilst you could ride around it with a trailer. There would be some lifting over gates required at the top end.

jekkyl

yup, a ladybower circuit would be ideal. Leave the little ones with the wife at the top at the water pools end whilst you go off and do cutgate?!
    As mentioned the highpeak trail is also around and imo is much better than the monsal or manifold. But I would also add in a circuit round Carsington water. Not so flat as others and there are some pretty testing inclines, well they would be for children, so you can get a bit of speed up as well.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As above really.
    Down our way which is very south of the peak you have middleton top as a good starter for the high peak trail, this then links onto Tissington trail, it can also be linked easily to Carsington reservoir with very little road riding. Loads to do in the area and stuff to pedal off the trails if you need to find a bit of gnar for a while. Staying around Wirksworth would be lovely for this area.

muddy9mtb

white peak probably what g lager said. if your looking for uber cheap family friendly accommodation and don’t mind being away from the main drag check out my mates large static caravan they let out in Tideswell http://upperfarmequestrian.co.uk/ for contact.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Great recommendations folks. I’ll work on a few routes later. If I strava them and put in the title #biketrailer #family does that mean others can find it by searching?

I’m sure someone will have found a way to share trailer/family friendly routes. Anyone know what it is?

Esme
    Free Member

Could you fit a child seat to your bike? That would give you a greater choice of trails.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for Family Cycling Holidays in the Peak District 21-28 Aug’ is closed to new replies.