Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommendations for cheap Bluetooth 4 cycle computer / watch.
  • sillysilly
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I already have a Bluetooth 4 chest hr belt that I’ve been using with my iPhone but it kills the battery too quickly when I’m on a long ride with the screen on. Apart from that it’s fine.

Can anyone recommend a cheap computer or watch that I can stick on the handlebar, just to make sure I’m in the right zone, before I go all the gear no idea on a Garmin?

I don’t care about looks or advanced functionality.

Cheers

lustyd
    Free Member

Are you aware you probably can’t transmit to two devices with BTLE? That’ll mean the new device takes over from iPhone. Given that info, you’re probably better off getting a cheap watch with an included ANT+ strap as it may end up costing less overall for the same outcome. Other than that Polar is probably your best bet on one of their cheap ones.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Cheers @lustyd,

For the short term all I want to concentrate on is HR zones / Watts. I’m not bothered about mapping / Strava / GPS and will forget the device on the iPhone. One live connection will suit me fine.

Every time I look at watches I end up defaulting to Fenix, thinking I can use it for swimming / running / GPS / Strava and forgetting to focus on my actual goal 🙂

Will check out Polar – Just want to get back to basics.

lustyd
    Free Member

Fenix 3 and above are truly excelent devices, as is the 920XT and 935.

For cheap though, the Garmin FR25 may be good. I’m suggesting ANT+ as it’s ubiquitous. Decathlon do a really cheap range which may do what you need.

Bluetooth watches are rare as it’s new (and not quite as polished) and so tend to cost more. Polar M450 is cheap right now (and probably perfect for you) as it’s been replaced same story with M400. Both are last gen but around £100.

If there’s a chance you’ll start using swim/run/etc. then I’d say ebay and Garmin every time for a cheap second hander. 920XT or Fenix 3 go for around £200 and worth the extra if you’ll use the features.

ampthill

I think my suunto uses blue tooth

But watch and HR belt is only £109. Mine has been fab in every way. The base model doesn’t get swimming stroke analysis, barometric pressure or link with power cranks etc.. But it does all the loging, displaying and even naviagating really well. To be clear it does log open water swimming

53% off

I think one up the range will add all but barometric pressure

lustyd
    Free Member

Good call, the Ambit 3 and newer Suunto’s use BTLE too. Ambit 3 will be cheap, although I think comes with a strap anyway in which case may as well get an Ambit 2 for cheaper as it’s basically the same watch 🙂

flashpaul
    Free Member

Garmin vivoactive hr , it only connects to ANT+ sensors though for some reason

sillysilly
    Free Member

The Ambit 3 looks awesome and 53% off! Cheers All. If I’m measuring power I’m on a WATT bike so literally just need the HR.

lustyd
    Free Member

That’s off original retail price, it’s last gen (replaced by Spartan) so will remain cheap now (so no need to rush for that bargain). Still a great tool but won’t get much in the way of updates going forwards. It does way more than you asked though 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for cheap Bluetooth 4 cycle computer / watch.’ is closed to new replies.