Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommendations for a budget waterproof riding jacket
  • rhid

After getting soaked and nearly freezing to death at Gisburn yesterday I have decided I need a proper waterproof jacket to ride in.

I don’t want to spend big money as I have a softshell which I ride in in all bar the worst weather but I figure something to fit over the top if necessary would be a good idea!

Has anyone found something good on the cheaper end of Amazon or Ebay or similar?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXHYSPHWPJ/planet-x-hydrosphere-waterproof-jacket has worked pretty well for me since January, but recently when we have had days where the temp has hit ~13C, it has started to get a bit boil in the bag on sessions where I’m trying to hammer it up a hill or on fairly flat terrain (I feel the heat quicker than most).

Bought http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-pakajak-showerproof-jacket-2016/ with other bits on Thursday, bargain for £13, slight negative is no pockets (but you can get around that with something suitable underneath. Yet to try, but hoping this will be much better for summer months.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/clothes/jackets?sort=price-asc worth looking through, some good prices there, like the Ecostorm 2.

Depends on what conditions you want jacket to cater for.

Northwind

The endura pakajak is very boil-in-bag, I wouldn’t wear it for mountain biking but they do a gilet too… I’m a big fan of a gilet, keeps body warm and dry(er) but leaves you the arms as radiators, good balance and a cheap one works fine

hambl90
    Free Member

Lightweight waterproof jacket from trespass is what I always use. Last one was about £16 .

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

I’d highly recommend one of these (if your an XS or XL as other sizes now sold out)

Polaris Waterproof Jacket

I wore mine at Gisburn yesterday and whilst wet through from 2hrs of constant rain and wheel deep puddles never got cold.

tthew

Aldi special buy from yesterday. Certainly cheap, fit can be a bit odd so might be worth popping in to try on if you are near a store.

matt_outandabout

I bought an Altura Nevis last winter from MilletSports – £9.97 8)

z1ppy

if you have a Decathlon nearby go check out there cycling and walking ranges, usually much cheapness with good have decent like pitzips, over stupidly expensive ‘breathable’ materials

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Son has Keela Saxon jacket. Scored really well in reviews against much more expensive brands. RRP still £100 though.

momo

I prefer using a softshell too, but keep one of these in my bag if it looks like turning to proper rain. Cheap enough that I’ll not cry too much if when I crash in it. I’m not too fussed that it’s a bit boil in the bag as I run hot on the bike so nothing waterproof breathes well enough for me!

I also have one of these which I stuff in my pocket when heading out on the road bike

failedengineer

Polaris stuff is usually very good and there’s a sale on at the moment. I bought one a while ago (£40-odd reduced from a claimed £100-odd). It’s one of the most effective I’ve ever used and that include Gore-Tex and Event.

highlandman
    Free Member

Best thing I’ve tried is the Keela Saxon. Light, properly weatherproof and far and away the most breathable waterproof I’ve come across. What it really excels at is being usable in a wide range of temperatures and conditions.
    Seriously good value at £99, direct from the UK manufacturer.
    http://www.keela.co.uk/saxon-jacket.html

Tracey

I don’t think anything would have kept you dry in those conditions, its more about keeping warm rather than dry. Abigale had a Madison Flux jacket and Endura MT500 II Shorts on and by the end of the day they had started to leak.

hainman
    Free Member

Decathlon Forclaz 400 is £60 and looks just like my mates £150 Madison jacket,Pit vents,hood,taped seems and very waterproof,has handled everything the Sh1tey Scottish whether has thrown at it,and I’ve been out in some honkin days,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for a budget waterproof riding jacket’ is closed to new replies.