Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend some soft compound tyres
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Time for new tyres and I fancy something with a soft, sticky compound. On the list are Supertacky Maxxis Highrollers and Minions, but can anyone recommend anything else? Needs to be 2.3 or bigger and I’m not really bothered by weight.

Thanks in advance
    Dave

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

[Shameless bump]
    Anyone?
    [/Shameless bump]

MRanger156
    Free Member

HR or Minions look good to me

grumm
    Free Member

High Roller supertacky 2.35s are great as a front tyre – I find it better having something faster rolling on the back though.

MrAgreeable

If you fancy something a bit less thugged out, Kenda Blue Groove and Nevegal Stick’Es are good – much grippierer than the DTC ones.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Having a ST Highroller on the back is like dragging an anchor, you’ve gotta pedal down hill!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

don’t bother on the rear (unless its a downhill bike) you really don’t need the grip back there and it will impeed your speed like riding through treacle.

MrAgreeable

I think it’s the weight of the dual ply ones rather than the compound that makes them feel so tank-like.

grumm
    Free Member

I had a 60a High Roller on the back and it was still pretty draggy – supertacky would be horrible I reckon.

geetee1972
    Free Member

What are you using them for?

The Michellin Comp 16s were the original super sticky rubber compound. Not sure what they’re marketing them as these days, I think maybe the DH24?

Intense’s range of tyres are pretty good. I think the FRO line are sticky rubber compound tyres. The 4-ply casing on the DH versions make for a super heavy tyre but it’s totally bomb proof.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Will be used for a bit of everything really. Don’t really care about extra weight as my 18.5 stone of manliness will be the biggest factor affecting climbing.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

By everything I am meaning climbs, singletrack, downhill, technical trails etc. Basically just riding a bike really. Plus I obvously feel more comfortable on an overbuilt bike.

richc
    Free Member

if you are thinking of climbing for gods sake don’t get the ST, they make riding on the flat a chore let alone climbing. I am not a million miles off your size and I thought the same as you until I tried riding any distance on a HR SuperTacky, you can hear the **** hanging onto the ground for dear life, and after a few miles they seem to suck the life out of you.

If you are doing a bit of everything and want a grippy/strong tyre, Schwalbe Fat Albert’s and Spesh Enduro’s seem to be a good comprise between grip, size and rolling resistance.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah second Richc’s comments. No way would I use Super Tacky’s on anything other than a dedicated DH/Freeride bike, i.e. one I was going to push to the top or get a lift with (I have used them on my trail bike by the way). They drag way too much and frankly the grip from Maxxis 60 durometer is more than enough for the sort of riding you’ll be doing.

Like you I’m in the Clydesdale class, not quite as firmly (16.5 stone last time I checked), but in it nevertheless. Ironically, because I’m heavy I want my bike to be as light as possible and still be sturdy enough. Rotating weight counts for a lot more than static weight and heavy tyres will make a massive difference to how easy the bike feels to pedal, especially up hill.

I’m running 2.35 Maxxis Minnions (I using the front version on both the front and back), folding, single ply, 60 durometer, in tubeless format with Stans rim strips. I ride as hard and fast as I can (I’ve raced a lot of DH) and find these tyres to be brilliant all rounders especially in the woods. I’ve also used High Rollers in the same format and in ST compound for the trail bike. I actually prefer the lower level of grip the 60ds give as the bike drifts more readily and more predictably.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Minion 42a front and 60a rear. Work well in most conditions. Don’t put high roller on rear..over-rated and poor on traction when climbing.

both single ply 2.35

giantjason
    Free Member

on my singlespeed i have a HR super tacky 2.35 front and Ignitor 2.35 on the rear.

Great for all round riding.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend some soft compound tyres’ is closed to new replies.