Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • recommend me…some Gnarmac tyres
  • lunge

Time for some new boots for the Gnarmac/gravel/faux-CX machine. It’s use is roughly 75% roads, 25% tow paths, gravel tracks, etc. It also has the very occasional trip to the hills.

To date I’ve been running some 28mm Vredestein Senso Xtreme’s, a fine winter road tyre and surprisingly not as bad as it should be off-road. But I would like something a little more off-road orientated though not a full on CX tyre as I still want it to be Ok on the road.

And 32mm max, that’s about as big as I can get in the frame.

Your thoughts please!

dknwhy

I’m currently running Panaracer Gravel King in 28mm width. Mainly road and the odd gravel track. Don’t think they’d be capable of much off road. Great tyre and really fast on road.
    The 32mm version looks a bit better for off road use and similar in design to the continental cx speed that I had on previously (another good tyre – fast rolling but poor in muddy conditions).
    What sort of tread depth are you looking for?

lunge

Gravel Kings look interesting, that is the kind of thing I had in mind, minimal centre tread and a bit of grip on the edges.

Ultimately it’s going to get more use on the road that off so that it where I want the emphasis to be.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Widest touring/hybrid tyres you can fit. Look for thick walls and good puncture protection. Tread is pretty well pointless. It just clogs up. You don’t need any at all on road, gravel or indeed anything apart from wet off camber grass. Its a skinny tyre not a whopping great motocross knobbly.
    CX tyres are crap. They are designed for racing and thus have no real need for puncture protection. Wear is also irrelevant in this situation.
    I has some Conti Contacts of some sort that were great.

kiwijohn

Had a good run with Specialized Trigger pros in a 33. Ran them tubeless on Stans Alpha 400’s.
    Just swapped to Surly Knard 41’s.

dknwhy

I’m going to try the Barlow Pass tyres from Compass next – bit wide for you at 38mm but they do a Stampede Pass tyre at 32mm. Pricey though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘recommend me…some Gnarmac tyres’ is closed to new replies.