Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me some winter boots
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

I’m after some winter cycling shoes. Anyone recommend any?

Must be reasonably waterproof and have stiff soles.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

MW 80’s assuming you want spd’s.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have the Gaerene’s going cheap on CRC. Pretty darned good. V stiff.

ojom
    Free Member

MW81’s. There are none finer.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

I also recommend the Gaerene’s. Have never failed to keep my feet dry.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Love my Northwave celsius

Frankers
    Free Member

I have Shimano MW80’s and whilst they are a great boot I still get cold feet when temperatures are down around 4deg and below. I sized up so plenty of space. The only way I have truly been able to keep my feet warm is with overshoes.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

MW80’s with wool socks, sorted. Get a size bigger if you want to wear thicker socks. Only gripe would be that they could do with being a bit taller, most of my socks stick out above the collar, not sure that’d make any difference to water getting in to them when it’s really wet though.

sillyoldman

MW81’s are a bit warmer than the MW80 due to fleece lined insole and are stiffer and lighter too. Oh – they take toe studs too.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

what are the fasteners like on the mw80/mw81? Much movement in the heel.

ojom
    Free Member

Gert big Velcro bits. Zero slippage.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Like what he said.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought the northwaves, very impressed so far. Northwave Celsius GTX ‘Artic’, so the added bonus of the ‘artic’ version is a fleacy/wooly lining to them which makes them super toasty. Haven’t ridden them in torrential rain yet, but thats mainly because I dont like the rain in winter, as no ammount of clothign keeps it all off while remaiing breathable, so I always freeze. But they’ve eben fine on -2 nightrides, and never let a drop in despite walking through puddles.

They’re so good I actualy considdered swapping my Pitch to SPD’s as I dont think anyone makes a comparable flat shoe apart from bug walking boots! Usualy wear them with thick socks, but I’ve worn them with normal offcie socks and been fine, although the sizing meant I rattled round bit front to back as I’ve wide feet (hence discounting shimano automaticaly), thick socks help pad them out a little.

The laces are ace, easy to do them up wearing winter gloves. But you cant put much tension in them as theyre elastic, less of an issue than it first seems though, its not noticeable on the bike and I guess it prevents you from packing the insulation down too much or cutting off blood supply.

Tried a few on (lake, shimano, northwave) and just bought the ones that fit best on the basis tha tthye’ll all do a good job so the biggest difference would be fit.

The only downside (and I guess this applys to most high ankled winter boots) is they slightly restrict ankle movent while walking compared to summer SPD shoes, but it’s barely noticable on the bike.

£140 from my LBS.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member

MW81’s. There are none finer.

Is the right answer – I got a pair from this fine purveyor of the aforementioned item – very good indeed

Stevo210
    Free Member

Is the right answer – I got a pair from this fine purveyor of the aforementioned item – very good indeed

+1 Ive ridden for years with wet cold feet due to being put off with the price tag and to be fair lack of knowledge of how good things could be.
    We were out last night in the pouring rain and a few stream crossings at speed and I returned home with toastie dry feet.

PS. this is only possible if you have full length trousers to stop the water running in to the top of the boot as I found out to my cost the first time out as it took me an age to dry the things out. Still 10/10 🙂

rossm
    Free Member

Internet opinions are never moderate. In general we all love to assure ourselves of our brilliance by seeking agreement over our inconsequential consumer choices.

However, since I’ve had my Specialized Defrosters there has been peace in the Middle East.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my northwaves have dies (although i’m still wearing them) the lace tabs tore and they can’t be repaired. great boots but i’m sticking to velcro/ external lacing.

replaced with specialized – seem just as good but better sealed at the top. for some reason i haven’t got he cleats in the right place yet…

shimano shoes don’t fit me.

MarkN
    Free Member

Another Spesh Defroster user here and found them to be very good. Go up a size or two to make sure you have room for thick socks would be my advice. I found Shimano and Northwave to narrow for my wide feet.

organic355
    Free Member

Sidi diablo’s if you can afford them?

Mine have been great!!

soobalias
    Free Member

thats a nice bit of fanboyism generally
    as is – “i love my northwave celcius, several years old now”

which ones are a nice wide fitting, the northwaves are pretty narrow so i went up a size, maybe two, still narrow but ok with merino socks however i would like to get thicker socks, even sealskins, in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rossm – Member

Internet opinions are never moderate. In general we all love to assure ourselves of our brilliance by seeking agreement over our inconsequential consumer choices.

However, since I’ve had my Specialized Defrosters there has been peace in the Middle East.

Genuine LOL.

z1ppy

Tried NW Celsuis found em not warm enough though nice and stiff and waterproof (pre artic version), have since tried MT90’s (no lycra collar so are rubbish is the rain and puddles) and now MW80’s and won’t be changing from them in any sort of rush. Would like to try Lake MX302’s but simply don’t have the money, where-as the Shimano’s can be had cheaply with vouchers (earlier in the season obviously)…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some winter boots’ is closed to new replies.