• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jim.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me some tough tyre levers.
  • DaddyFool
    Free Member

Broke a couple of levers today on Deliverance. Plastic Park jobs. So…anyone able to recommend me some INDESTRUCTIBLE levers that won't gouge chunks outta my rims?

Cheers…Kev

ps. for all the 'heroes' out there who just roll their tyres on by hand or pull em on with their teeth, I have neither your wrist strength 😉 or the dental plan to cope.

firestarter
    Free Member

pedros big yellow ones , end of thread 😉

DaddyFool
    Free Member

Thank you sir.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Or use alloy ones but put insulation tape near the ends

firestarter
    Free Member

seriously when i was getting tubeless tyres on my dt rims i snapped cheap ones , snapped the park ones too. even bent my metal ones (and took all the paint off my rims. bought the yellow ones and worked a treat 😉

scaredypants

intense alloy ones here – haven't tried the pedros ones though

(also had a wizzy roundy type lever that worked fairly well but haven't seen it for a while (- can they get under fridges too ?))

Tracey

You need one or these, it an awesome tool, DH tyres off and on DH rims in seconds

Word has it that Kevin did 2 weeks in Verbier with one in his backpack, never proved though

Tracey

walla24
    Free Member

pedros….easy win and funky colours!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Soma steel core levers (link) are excellent.

Most tyres can be fitted without levers, and it's absolutely nothing to do with brute force; it's all about technique.

Get one bead into the rim (should be simple enough even with heavy DH tyres), then insert the (empty) tube, push the valve in and get the other bead into the rim at the valve hole. With the wheel on the ground in front of you, use your hands like crab claws to push the bead over the rim, one hand feeding around to the right and the other off to the left. You'll get to a point where you can no longer push the bead over the rim because the tension is too great on the exposed section of bead. This is the point where people usually break out the levers and try forcing the bead into place…

Instead, go back with your claw hands to the valve hole. As you've been feeding the bead in up the rim, the tension has been building on both the exposed section of bead and the portion which is already fitted. So, from the valve, use your thumbs to push the bead in towards the center of the rim… you'll feel it pop away. Continue doing this up to the point where you were stopped earlier and you'll find that the tension has decreased enough to allow you to feed more bead over the rim. Every time you're stopped, go back top the valve and release the tension. Many tyres can be fitted entirely by hand using this method, although some may require the last few inches of bead to be pressed over with a lever.

If you're ever having trouble getting a tyre off, make sure all the air is expelled and then use the nipping technique to push the two beads into the center valley of the rim. In most cases, you'll find that it will make your job considerably easier, to the point where a lever is only required to lift the first portion of bead out over the rim.

stevede
    Free Member

Another pedros vote here, dual ply tyres, mavic 521 rims no problem.

jim
    Free Member

pedros big yellow ones , end of thread

The pink ones are 18% stronger, fact.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some tough tyre levers.’ is closed to new replies.