Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me some snorkelling gear
  • lcj

Off to Hawaii shortly and would like to do some snorkelling whilst there. Would rather have our own gear so can anyone recommend a sensibly priced but decent set i.e. mask snorkel and flippers? Dont want to spend a fortune as it will get used annually but equally dont want the trip spoiled by leaky kit. Have seen the Decathlon sets but they look a bit too good to be true – can anyon comment?

(I realise going to a shop to try masks for fit would be best but time and work doesnt permit)

Cheers all

winston_dog
    Free Member

(I realise going to a shop to try masks for fit would be best but time and work doesnt permit)

This.

It’s the same as walking books, you can buy the blingest, most high tech sexiest design but if they don’t fit they are useless. Always go for the best fit.

You could always buy 3 different masks mail order and return the ones that don’t fit?

It’s a bit like the CRC v LBS problem, sometimes you need to spend the time and money to get the right fit.

You will probably be looking at slipper fins, however, even in warm water I prefer a open fin with a wet suit boot.

Also, I would recommend buying the simplest snorkel possible, avoid drain valves and stuff.

wl
    Free Member

Yep, +1 simple snorkel. If you buy decentish kit, it should last many, many years. I have a Technisub diving mask that’s been great for around 15 years so far. Might be a bit pricey now tho. Where are you off to? Kauai is well worth a visit if you can – absolutely stunning, with amazing snorkelling and hiking, and fewer tourists. Na Pali coast and Kalalau Trail hike are awesome. Enjoy yourself wherever you’re heading.

zippykona

Don’t forget your rash vest to keep the sun off.
    +1 on the open fins and dive boots. So much easier just to walk down the beach in your boots and fins on in the sea.
    This makes walking on hot sand/pebbles a lot easier and any nasties that lurk on the sea bed.

lcj

Thanks all, interesting comments re simple snorkels and fin types. We have booties from kayaking so thats worth bearing in mind.

Might have to try the multiple mail order suggestion – any websites you can recommend. Some obvious candidates come up with google but I guess its like Merlin vs Dave Hinde!

wi – We’ve got a week on the Big Island touring round, and then a week on Maui. Hope to get out to Molokini as a starting point for snorkelling, adn want to try to surfing/body boarding too

wl
    Free Member

Sounds good, enjoy yourself. Don’t forget strong suncream on the backs of your calves! And I use an old, close-fitting polyprop top instead of buying a rash vest – works well, saved me a bit of dosh.

natrix
    Free Member

I’ve been very happy with my decathlon snorkelling set, even using the mask for diving.

stumpy01

I asked a similar question recently. There’s some good advice here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-know-anything-about-snorkelling-kit

I ended up using the fins provided by the resort, but took a Decathlon mask that a mate lent me (I had the chance to try it in the bath ( 😀 ) before going and I bought a snorkel online and found it really comfortable…

This one:
    http://www.simplyscuba.com/products/Mares/ErgoSplashSnorkel.aspx

Pigface
    Free Member

Hawaii has seen a rash of shark attacks this year 😯 about tripple what they would usualy have, German tourist had their arm removed.

Sorry if this is alarming.

winston_dog
    Free Member

try Robin Hood Watersports

or Kent Diving

Interestingly I have never noticed they sell snorkeling masks which are a lot cheaper than the dive masks. Not sure if there is any real difference!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some snorkelling gear’ is closed to new replies.