Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Recommend me some sci-fi books from santa….
  • SammyC
    Free Member

Dan Simmons Hyperion, anything that has "The Shrike stands roughly three meters in height and is described as being composed of razorwire, thorns, blades, and cutting edges, having fingers like scalpels and long, curved toe blades. It is basically a gigantic, bladed killing machine." as a baddy in it has to be cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shrike

Oh, and Unto Leviathan by Richard Paul Russo (also known as Ship of Fools in the US) was quite terrifying but one of the best books I've ever read.

AndyP
    Free Member

Colin-T

AndyP, this is about SF, not Fantasy 😉

dogmatix

Vurt – Jeff Noon
    maybe too obvious but if you havent 'do androids dream of sleep' philip k dick
    william gibson idoru

Northwind

Ah, Vurt, what a great book…

Russell96

The Peshwar Lanncers by S.M Stirling
    Altered Carbon, Broken Angels & Woken Furies by Richard Morgan
    Stealing Light, Nova War, Against Gravity by Gary Gibson

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

All Iain M Banks – Use of Weapons and Excession are great 🙂

Greg Bear – Queen of Angesl or the Forge of God / Anvil of Stars linked books. Darwins Radio is also pretty good byt damn depressing (makes Children of Men look like Playschool!)

JG Ballard – Millenium People

SSP

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Kit – Member

Perdido Street Station – China Miéville

Not strictly sci-fi, more gothic fantasy horror with a bit of steam punk influence. But excellent, very dark, scary

Having got this for Christmas, I'm a good chunk of the way through this now and must say it is *excellent*. 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oh! Excellent thread. Its reminded me to go and source the lensman series for my own collection. As has been said – E.E. Doc Smith – the daddy of space opera.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some sci-fi books from santa….’ is closed to new replies.