Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me some roubaix / thermal bibs.
  • qwerty
    Free Member

After yesterday’s CX ride in the filth (I forgot my mudguard) I realised that my approx 20yr old Castelli bibs have a 2″ hole on one cheek and are going the same way on the other. My old ones had no chamois so I use my inners with them, which may or may not add another layer to my quads in cold weather.

I need to replace them. Any pro/con to having a chamois fitted? Currently eyeing up the Castelli Sorpasso on CRC, which at £84 are definitely at the top end of my budget, willing to entertain cheaper.

Ta

wynne
    Free Member

Lusso every time for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

I prefer no chamois, so I can get three or four rides before each wash.

Budget stuff seems fine to me – it’s just lycra and roubaix innit.

These look alright…
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-asv-race-roubaix-bib-tight/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Most of the time I prefer no chamois too and wear them over bib shorts. Seem to be less of them about these days though.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I have a newly found preference for no pad, cheaper, and when riding road can have multiple uses/wash.

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Castelli, and they are great quality kit, you certainly wont be disappointed, but I actually prefer the Endura Thermolites as they have a teflon coating which not only beads/repels water, but also fend off a bit of mud.

chakaping
    Free Member

Seem to be less of them about these days though.

I’ve noticed this too, most of the sale stuff seems to have pads this year.

globalti
    Free Member

The Lusso Roubaix bibs are excellent and very durable indeed. They are manufactured in Manchester and if you call at the factory and ask nicely you’ll get a very competitive price indeed. They have no pad so you’ll need shorts underneath.

My fave winter tights are my dhb 3/4 bibs from Wiggle, which are Roubaix lined and superb. They have a thin dense pad, which is ideal, though unfortunately more recent versions have a thick spongey pad, which is not good news.

funkweasel
    Free Member

My Stolen goat Orkaan ones are awesome.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lusso Roubaix bibs are excellent and very durable indeed. They are manufactured in Manchester and if you call at the factory and ask nicely you’ll get a very competitive price indeed. They have no pad so you’ll need shorts underneath.

Might check those out if unpadded. I’d not usually consider Lusso as their pad is horrid for me.

ransos
    Free Member

Currently eyeing up the Castelli Sorpasso on CRC, which at £84 are definitely at the top end of my budget, willing to entertain cheaper.

I bought a pair from Merlin yesterday, on offer at £80. Advice is to go one size larger than usual but we shall see.

I quite like my Lusso bibs, but the pad is less comfortable than DHB, despite being thicker. The sizing is also a little off – I take medium in virtually all cycle clothing but these are too big.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Advice is to go one size larger than usual but we shall see.

Agreed, unless you are short (by UK standards) and slim you are likely to find either the bib straps too short or the waist/thighs too small.

ransos
    Free Member

Agreed, unless you are short (by UK standards) and slim you are likely to find either the bib straps too short or the waist/thighs too small.

I’ll report back when I get them – I ordered large instead of my usual medium.

dovebiker

I find padded bib longs warmer and more comfortable that unpadded + lycra shorts because the lycra traps moisture plus they’re aren’t than many decent padded undershorts – most are cheap rubbish aimed at commuters, not for longer rides.

mrblobby
    Free Member

they’re aren’t than many decent padded undershorts

Why would you get specific undershorts? I just use my normal bib shorts under bib longs.

ransos
    Free Member

Why would you get specific undershorts? I just use my normal bib shorts.

I do too, but two sets of straps can be annoying, and there’s more faff when you need the toilet.

chakaping
    Free Member

I usually wear one of my many MTB undershorts under my bibs.

stumpy01

I bought some Polaris Cadence biblongs in their recent flash sale. They are really nice; fleece lined, fit well, decent pad, enough reflective bits without looking full-on commuter.

Still worth it at full RRP, I reckon:

http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Cadence-Road-Cycling-Bib-Tight-p/pol01-2734-p.htm

mrblobby
    Free Member

Polaris Cadence biblongs

Some people like the hoop under the foot, some people don’t.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t go bigger on Lusso bibs, they are already quite long in the leg.

greentricky
    Free Member

I got the Polaris Tornado bibs when on sale from the PSA and think they are brilliant, best pad I have tried and very comfy although only done 100km max in them

TiRed

Bought the Rapha ones in the sale at £110. Wished I’d bought a second pair. My first Rapha kit and I’ve been very impressed so far. Can pinch behind the knees, but long enough that my long merino socks never gap.

Delighted with them, bit now £180, so will wait for next year’s sale!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got some Rapha unpadded ones (there seems to be a need on STW to follow this up with “I got them in the sale”!) Quality is top notch, though must admit I find them a bit tight and lacking in stretch round the thighs, fit is fine everywhere else.

boardmanfs18

Have a look at the rivelo bib longs on SportPursuit, very comfy pad and a dwr coating as well for £59 ! Also think there are some cheap gore bibs on amazon

qwerty
    Free Member

Thanks all, i went for the Sorpasso from CRC for £73.99 (£83.99 – CLEAR2017 = £10 off). Seem like a good product at a good price.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Galibier tights are very thermal and although are not waterproof they do seem to resist the cold from the rain.

In the sale atm for 61
    galibier

Edit – Oops too slow

ransos
    Free Member

Advice is to go one size larger than usual but we shall see.

And the answer is… go one size larger: the large is spot on, all my other shorts and longs are medium.

In contrast, my new Craft baselayer is very generous – I could probably go down to a small.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

These are nice – http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Tornado-Winter-Cycling-Bib-Tights-p/pol01-5488-p.htm

Although I got some for £25 a few weeks ago in one of Polaris’s many sales. It’s worth signing up for the newsletter to get sale notifications. I’ve had loads of stuff off them recently.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

These are nice – http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Tornado-Winter-Cycling-Bib-Tights-p/pol01-5488-p.htm

Although I got some for £25 a few weeks ago in one of Polaris’s many sales. It’s worth signing up for the newsletter to get sale notifications. I’ve had loads of stuff off them recently.

wait4me

I had a punt on the Hoy Roubaix longs in the recent Vulpine sale. When they arrived I was a bit disappointed as they felt a bit thin. However once on they were both perfectly warm and very comfortable. Pad is a bit odd, but at the price (sub £50) they are top notch.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some roubaix / thermal bibs.’ is closed to new replies.