Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me some "must do" bridleways around Grizedale
  • Entonox
    Free Member

Planning a trip to Grizedale and would appreciate some recommendations for ‘the best’ bridleways (climbs & descents) in the area.

I know a nice loop around Hawkshead / Coniston / Satterthwaite but something new would be great.

Cheers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ickenthwaite and Parkamoor

slowboydickie

Descent from parkamoor to high nibthwaite. It’s double track but a total rockfest.

philfive
    Free Member

Bridal way from top of parka moor to satterthwaite is great.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

The Fox, from the wooden statue that looks like a Fox (climb up east from the visitor centre).

Also second the above.

Here’s all the info you need:

http://www.ridethelakes.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=704

Entonox
    Free Member

Thanks

Never done Parkamoor to High Nibthwaite so I’ll get that in, normally drop into Satterthwaite from the top. Excellent.

Ickenthwaite? The one from Arklid Intake or The Riggs?

Cheers for that link agentdagnamit

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ickenthwaite? The one from Arklid Intake or The Riggs?

At the top of Bletherbarrow lane, carry straight on a track through a gate, across a field (that’ll probably be wet) and then through another gate. Starts there.

Entonox
    Free Member

Got that, thanks.

bullroar
    Free Member

Related question, the map shows a bridleway running (short of) parallel to the south side of Cunsey Beck, starting at SD3700,9373. If one had to end the day down by the lake is that one worth riding?

MarkSS
    Free Member

we were up there may bank holiday just gone – did the Grizedale loop from the vertebrate book which was essentially (based on the ridethelakes linky above) Parkamoor, Nibthwaite downs, alpe d’huez, fell road, climbed upto Breasty Haw, red mist, cathderal, back o’ the tarn, babbies heids.

Will need to go back & door it again at some point as the Parkamoor descent down to Nibthwaite was full on mist until about half way down. Although in some ways this added to the excitement. If you want to pre-plan your ride lines over the rocky awesomeness I’ve popped a lazy edit of most of that descent on youtube

BigJohn

I remember doing the Fox a couple of Decembers ago when it was -11C heavy snow and ice. We’d been out all day and it was now about 6pm and pitch black.

The Fox was fantastic – just like skiing down a black run. Every time you hit ice it just seemed to slide you across the gully and keep you upright as you started to slide up the other side.

One of the highlights of the weekend.

The lowlight was that it was too icy to do Parkamoor/Nibthwaite

The other highlight was on day 3 of the weekend riding around Hawkshead/Coniston we were above Lawson Park and came across the first set of other tyre tracks in the snow we’d seen…

…and then realised they were ours that we’d made the day before!

sparksmcguff

I can’t add anything to the above but I love the area around Satterthwaite/Grizedal/Coniston. Think you just need to explore what’s there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some "must do" bridleways around Grizedale’ is closed to new replies.