Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me some long distance rides
  • tyredbiker
    Free Member

Those that have read the ‘last time you cried’ topic will already know but I had the bad news that my 26 year old boyfriend was killed by a drink driver whilst on the second day of his solo cycle across America to raise money for a small charity called Find Your Feet. I am devastated and struggling but as David got me into cycling I find it helps me escape even if it’s just for a few hours.

The final goal will be to finish Dave’s ride across America, but would rather start a bit smaller first. And where I need STW’s help is to come up with some challenges that will build me up and give me something to focus on instead of feeling so helpless. I know that at first my motivation will be to make him proud but I also know I will get alot out of them too.

Im a 21 year old student so money and time is tight til next June and only have my trusty hardtail at the moment (although will have access to training on roadbikes when I’m back at university for my final year). Home is in Surrey and uni is in scotland so preferably somewhere close or with good transport links to the start. I’m quite hardy for a girl- did coast to coast walking with dave no problem and I’m not afraid of pushing myself. Will hopefully be on the International Childcare Trust Sri Lanka ride next autumn.

Any recommendations, advice or anyone that would like to join is greatly appreciated- will also add my email address to my profile in a bit.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Btw races are good as well-I’m quite competitive. Looked at no fuss events but dates aren’t great. Doesn’t even need to be cycling related- thinking three peaks!

wors

cycle to uni from home? sorry for your loss btw.

RickyRah
    Free Member

I got my first taste of cycle touring this year by doing an 8-day tour across Europe. I didn’t really train specifically for it and was told by some club mates not to worry too much about it as you generally get fitter as you go. I think there is some truth in this but you do need base miles. I was doing quite heavy road miles anyway and have been riding for a few years.

I would say just get out and ride and slowly up your mileage. Set yourself some well known rides(i.e. South Downs Way, C2C or LEJOG) to aim for and make each one bigger than the last. I think most cyclists do this anyway.

nonk
    Free Member

look at some of the scottish offroad coast to coast rides proper awesome.

posters like stuatiec, tj, druihd and epicyglo are all good folks for scotidsh epics.

OktoberFest is coming up soon and I think there’s still places available.
    It’s an 8 hour multi lap marathon near Bristol.

I’ve been thinking of doing The Avon Ring in a day.
    It’s a 109 mile loop of canals taking in Worcester, Birmingham and Stratford-on-Avon.
    Is there anything like that near you ?

jonba
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss, that’s terrible.

Plenty of day events and races you could do. 12 and 24 hours are all options and there are plenty of them north and south.Also 10 under the Ben, 10@ Kirrough tree, Glentress 7, Kielder 100 to name a few.

Longer rides – There is the Coast to Coast that finishes in Tynemouth and I think the coast and castles that starts in Edinburgh. Sustrans might be a good resource to get you started.

You could see what you can sort out getting a train one way and riding back. That opens up many options and if you’re organised not massively expensive.

If you are going to try to put together a road bike then that opens up the world of sportives and Audax which gives you even more events to enter. Audax would be good as they’re cheap. If you do want to put together a road bike then you should ask on here as if you are serious I imagine you’d get some help. I’ve certainly got bits I’d happily donate to get you riding.

thepurist

A good starter might be the Downs Link which runs from Guildford(ish) to Shoreham – it’s a disused railway so is a bit on the flat side, but a relatively easy way to get some miles in. 40 miles ish, so start with one way & train back then do a there and back, then tackle the SDW.

wwaswas

thepurist has a good idea – downs link is quite good – you could also turn left or right when you hit the sdw and make your way along there for a bit to add a few hills to the ride.

hilldodger
    Free Member

second the DL idea, it’s a good way to get used to longer rides and can be readily extended.
    Maybe worth ‘working up’ to South Downs Way as it’s a well documented route and quite a decent challenge 🙂

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Cheers guys some awesome ideas that I hadn’t thought of! easy enough to get to Guildford so DL should be good for some training and getting some miles under my belt!

Midlandtrailquestsgraham- not sure. I live in Leatherhead and I’ve only heard of north downs and south downs way. 😕

Thanks for the offer jonba- I’ll see how I get on with these uni road bikes but it’s definetly an idea- can cycle so much further! Maybe a touring bike when I can afford it!

Also would anyone recommend any charity rides other than those with ICT?

Again thank you- it’s not been a great week, he should have been arriving home tomorrow.

anjs
    Free Member

The BHF ones are good

wallop

The Avon Ring

That looks brilliant fun! If only I’d known about it earlier in the year. I reckon it might be difficult to do now the nights are drawing in…

Wallop, where are you based ?
    There’s a list of rings here.
    The Stourport Ring‘s local to me too, and a bit shorter.

There’s a map of all the UK canals here.
    Not enough to do a loop on their own, tyredbiker, but you could maybe link them in with some other routes.

AlasdairMc

Just start riding and see where you end up, then get the train back. I do this at times, end up about 120 miles in a day but then have to give up to get the last train. Or if you want to go further, book a bunkhouse so you can travel light and keep going…

In Scotland, the Sustrans route that follows the A9 is fantastic, Edinburgh to Kingussie is a great route.

wallop

MTQG – based in Bristol, so well placed to make a short train journey to a ring somewhere – probably Worcester to try either Avon or Stourport. Thanks for the links and the great idea!

druidh
    Free Member

Hello tyredbiker – I got a name check, so I really ought to reply 🙂

First of all, consider very carefully how many charity events you participate in. Regardless of how worthy the charity, friends and family can only afford to give so much and repeatedly going around with the begging bowl will result in poorer and poorer returns. If you limit yourself to one per year, you might be able to generate a significant amount. Obviously, that excludes events where the only financial contribution is your entry fee (on the basis you’d be paying that yourself). I just did a Lands End-John o’Groats on behalf of Marie Curie. Around half of the minimum sponsorship fee goes towards accommodation/support etc, so I paid all of the minimum myself – that way, no one is paying for me to have a holiday. You might get more sponsorship if you can match this approach.

Now then – longer rides. I would recommend that you find some which involve more distance than climbing. This will build up stamina (in much the same way as riding a road bike does). If you were in Scotland, I would be recommending some of the Sustrans routes, but there are also lots of pleasant forest tracks available on account of the very open land access laws.

Fitting a set of slick/smooth tyres to your existing bike will make distance work a bit easier too.

Think of joining a club or finding friends who are also keen. Making plans with others is a great incentive to get out there, especially when the weather isn’t all that great.

If you are lacking transport, then a number of very good rides are available by using the rail network. I recently did a road tour of the North West Highlands by getting a train to Kyle of Lochalsh, then a return train from Wick. Another popular option is to do the Outer Hebrides. Train and ferry options are available for this too. I have a write-up and some photos of this if you are interested.

I’m happy to help out “off-line” – my email address is in my profile. If you are in/close to Edinburgh, I’d recommend you take a look at http://www.hervelo.co.uk, a local (mostly girls) bike club who do all sorts of riding.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Also very sorry to hear of your tragic loss tyredbiker.

The only experience I have of long distance rides is doing the South Downs Way, 100 very hilly miles. Would like to do that again, but needs to be next year to get long days. Likewise 3 peaks…… I want to do that as sub 24hr. The fire service do one in June every year, I have the dates for 2012 at work. Get in touch with me if you want, mail in profile!

brooess
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your loss, and the manner of it.

South Downs Way is an excellent intro to long distance riding in the South. Not least because it’s tougher than you’d expect. The hills are damn hard work

But to build up endurance mileage I’d really recommend a road bike and find a local club to go riding with. They’ll be very supportive and you’ll get much more serious distances in than you would on yr own…

BlobOnAStick

Sustrans have good ideas

All the best with your endeavours, I hope they help you with come to terms with the loss of someone so close.

Ben

Edit: oops, I see druidh beat me to it by several hours.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff! Very active member of uni club with spare road bikes so looks like I’m going to have to buy some Lycra and dip into the dark side!
    Agreed with too many charity rides isn’t a great idea, just thinking of things to aim for whilst training that are stepping stones to America trip.

Plan so far is Relentless 24 in October (in a team hopefully- I’m not that mental…yet) and check out some Scottish routes to do in term time (limited access to internet so will check it out including sustrans on Sunday when back) and hopefully south downs way when I’m home as well! Anyone that fancies joining let me know! And I will email people when I’m back with the computer too.

Thank you men and women of STW – means alot x

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some long distance rides’ is closed to new replies.