Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Recommend me some family games.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

With Christmas coming it would be good to get one or two new family games. Uno, Yahtzee and Jenga are big favourites at the moment. The kids are 12 and 7.

kcal

We quite liked Maponimos though rules might be a bit complex.

drdjpower

Ours (13, 11, 7) like Carcassonne. Nice and short, involves luck, but also some brains. Recommended. Oh, and Scrabble.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Saw a Star Wars themed Risk in Toys R Us the other day, going to be the in thing this christmas.

legolam
    Free Member

+1 for carcassonne. Love that game!

matt_outandabout

Carcassonne here too.
    We also play lots of Dominion, much better than Carcassonne imo.

JoeG
    Free Member

Pull my finger is always good! :mrgreen:

maccruiskeen

Kill Doctor Lucky

(you can buy it as a board game but the original ethos of James Earnest games was that they were new rules for existing board game gubbins, so if you already have plenty of dice and counters you can download the board, rules and cards for free and print them out)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Point at the ginger is a perennial favourite.

Cougar

Given the ages I’d punt for Carcassonne also, it’s easy to teach and brilliant. Maybe punt for Ticket to Ride also, rated 8+ so a go-er if you’ve got a bright 7yo.

dknwhy

Don’t panic. It’s funny just to hear some of the answers from younger kids.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

we always have a good time playing Logo and Cranium.

tunners
    Free Member

Qwirkle is really good, simple rules that even the grandparents understand.

senorj

pitch & toss.

daftvader
    Free Member

Science museum Brainbox games are really good

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Played Logo with my kids and nieces a month ago. Never played it before. Will definitely play it again. Very good game that can be played with different levels of complexity depending on the kids’ ages.

willard

Exploding Kittens? Even my wife likes that and she normally hates card games.

Failing that, Risk: World Domination

lemonysam
    Free Member

My current favourite is Flick ’em Up*. What’s better than sticking on some western soundtracks whilst you flick bullets at one another and trash talk in bad american accents?

Carcasonne, Ticket To Ride & King of Tokyo are also great and pretty accesible.

*yes, I know, cult of the new.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Ticket to ride, Discworld Ankh Morpork.

eltonerino
    Free Member

Mine are a little too young for Carcassonne, but then again they are also too young for:

[list]
    [*]Sushi Go! (4 year old is now playing the full rules)[/*]
    [*]Roll for it![/*]
    [*]Brain Box – The world (they need help with the words, but are fine with the pictures.)[/*]
    [*]We have a demo of Name 5 that is fun, but seems over priced.[/*]
    [/list]

On our list for when the girls get a bit older:
    [list]
    [*]Tsuro (The 4 year old could play it now, she’s played a rip off version on my phone and enjoyed it. Just need to buy it sometime)[/*]
    [*]King of Tokyo[/*]
    [*]Carcasonne (although it might be harder to convince my wife that it’s not a board game)[/*]
    [*]Cards against humanity (might have to wait a bit longer for this one… I hear Apples to Apples is the child friendly version[/*]
    [/list]

Games are often cheaper to buy from the US. I usually go for Amazon.com unless it has a UK edition.

Tabletop is a good youtube program about games:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu9RB-N4T3g[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMtlQxJeWvc[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6VpW4Vljr8[/video]

lemonysam
    Free Member

Cards against humanity (might have to wait a bit longer for this one… I hear Apples to Apples is the child friendly version

Lots of party games work quite well with kids. You’ll not get half their jokes but something like Snake Oil or even Dixit can have them in stitches if they have active imaginations.

fasthaggis

Very simple dice game.

Use one dice.
    First to score a hundred or over wins.
    Youngest player throws first.
    They keep throwing until they want to stick and bank their score,
    but if they throw a 1 at any point,they lose everything for that turn.

You soon find out who the gamblers are going to be. 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

dobble

Drac

thetallpaul
    Free Member

At potential risk of a piss taking: Lego Shave A Sheep

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Cards Against Humanity?

simon_g

King of Tokyo

..is ace. Nice tactile dice to throw, cartoon monsters, works for 2-6 players. Would imagine it’ll be fine even for younger kids with a bit of adult guidance.

Carcassonne works great too, but skip the farmer scoring if playing with younger kids.

loddrik
    Free Member

Kids Monopoly.

ChrisL

Stak Bots is great fun.

Apples to Apples is simple and fun.

lemonysam
    Free Member

On the Tactile front, Cube Quest is pretty awesome (though not as good as Flick ’em Up) and would go down well with kids.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Hungry hungry hippos still play it with my brother and I’m 32 and he’s 27 epic game what you do is go too a weight watchers meeting and between you secretly split the group into two halves and pick one each and then scatter a family size bag of maltesers on the floor and cheer on your fatty’s

Best game ever devised!

Pigface
    Free Member

Risk: if you want tantrums and fist fights

Snakes and Ladders is always great, like Fasthaggis dice idea Bravo

oldejeans
    Free Member

Blokus

lemonysam
    Free Member

Risk: if you want tantrums and fist fights

Every time someone mentions Risk it reminds me of just how much I hate it. A game which can take hours where, with a bad starting position, you can be insurmountably **** in the first turn.

garyfisher
    Free Member

Pandemic is good, but maybe a bit difficult at 7 – my three (9, 11 and 13) will happily leave the computer alone for the time it takes to play. It is also cooperative so you either all win or all lose so less opportunity for argument

pplum
    Free Member

MY kids ( 7 and 10) both enjoy Carcasonne and Sushi Go, but the family favourite is Camel Up where you bet on stacking racing camels

eltonerino
    Free Member

ron jeremy – just for you… might not want to watch it at work.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEqUn7If44[/video]

simon_g

Every time someone mentions Risk it reminds me of just how much I hate it. A game which can take hours where, with a bad starting position, you can be insurmountably **** in the first turn.

“Modern” Risk isn’t like that, it uses a system of objectives that you go after – first player to 3 objectives wins. Plays quicker, starting position doesn’t matter much, way more fun to play. Of course, you can still do the long dragged-out total elimination game if you prefer.

Risk Legacy uses the same systems but the game itself develops over 15 games – new rules, adding/deleting things from the board or card decks, etc. Utterly brilliant if you can get the same 3-5 players together several times to play through it all.

lemonysam
    Free Member

“Modern” Risk isn’t like that, it uses a system of objectives that you go after – first player to 3 objectives wins. Plays quicker, starting position doesn’t matter much, way more fun to play. Of course, you can still do the long dragged-out total elimination game if you prefer.

I’ve played this and it’s undoubtedly a vast improvement but in the back of my head is the embittered child camped out in japan for 10 turns waiting for someone to stop scrapping over the middle east and administer a **** coup de gras.

mlpinto
    Free Member

Labyrinth?

We have the kids version and our 5 year old is just about okay with it and we enjoy it as well. I would think either the kids or the full version would be okay for older children.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some family games.’ is closed to new replies.