Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me some… Comics!
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Currently enjoying The Walking Dead, Y The Last Man, Fables… That kinda thing.

uplink
    Free Member

The Guardian?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Beano? They have The Numbskulls in it now. In fact they probably have for years but I recently found it out.

sobriety
    Free Member

DMZ

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Stephenson’s Robot on Accent Comics will be good-out soon.
    Crecy by Warren Ellis is short and v.good.

totalshell

Rogue trooper.. you aint lived until your dead.

willard

Any Frank Millar, but especially Hard Boiled or Sin City. You could also try the early Alan Moore stuff. V for Vendetta is a far better comic than the film shows, and Top 10 is a good yarn.

flyingmonkeycorps

Read lots of Miller, Ellis and Moore, but good suggestions. DMZ sounds very interesting!

B_Leach
    Free Member

To suggest a few:

Transmetropolitan
    House of Mystery
    WE3
    The Sandman
    Akira
    Marvel Zombies

I generally tend to stick to the Vertigo label, seems the better writers gravitate towards it…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Kick-ass, . . if you don’t mind waiting about 4 months between each issue!!

yunki
    Free Member

anything from the Vaughn Bode archives is a must have just to fill in your comic history and see the underground comic movement at it’s best..

Mark Bode is now doing some good stuff too..

anonymouse
    Free Member

Oh, grow up!

PS This is light-hearted joshing. I, aged 38, like comics too. Cuurrently enjoying European style ligne clair stuff such as Blake & Mortimer. The recent Rainbow Orchid books are good too.

tobyToby
    Free Member

Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller) is prolly the best graphic novel I’ve read. Batman Year 1 (Miller again) is well up there too.

Batman Hush has outstanding artwork from Jim Lee (Batman just looks ‘right’)and the story is pretty good as well.

1602 (Neil Gaiman) is a good read, though it helps if you know somthing about the Marvel characters in it first

Arkham Asylum (Grant Morrison) is very good, but very very dark

If you can get hold of any of the Joss Whedon (he of Buffy and Firefly fame) written X-Men, they are well worth a read.

League of Extraordinary gentlemen Vols 1 & 2 (Alan Moore) are brilliantly clever in their use of famous fictional characters, but later vols are just on another freaky-deaky planet.

V for Vendetta, Watchmen and From Hell (all by Alan Moore) are all worth a read as well

I’d suggest you go down the Library as well – my local (Taunton) has a fantastic stock of graphic novels.

Hmmm I think I may need to get out more…

Toby

rwc03
    Free Member

Watchmen is a must read if you haven’t already.

Film is incredibly boring compared to the novel. Alan Moore was right when he told them you couldn’t make a film of it.

willard

It was a good attempt, but they missed just so many little things that made the comic brilliant.

If you wanted to go a little off the beaten track, you could head to Dark Horse and read all the Aliens universe stuff. Maybe throw in the predator ones as well, as both have some good stuff in, Colonial Marines being a decent example.

I used to have a _lot_ of Aliens comics (saw them as eventual collectors’ items), but ended up selling them at a slight loss when I needed money for a deposit on a house. Waterstones had compendiums of a lot of the different series in last time I looked. Sooooo tempting.

chomp
    Free Member

Locke and Key is worth a read

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some… Comics!’ is closed to new replies.